The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if anyone has an answer for this. But why aren't biologics used for lupus arthritis like for RA? Things like Humira, Remicade etc. Anybody know?

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Allerian :)
They are only used when there's a strong RA component or overlap with the lupus and when there are no existing anti ds DNA antibodies. That's because they can cause the appearance of anti ds DNA antibodies.

I've never seen reports that this has actually changed the clinical picture of already diagnosed lupus and haven't checked it out for about 18 months, but all the same doctors are understandably reluctant to use them.
I can only recall one person here currently who takes one of them, Enbrel.

Hope you've managed to get help with your flare and are feeling a bit better

:)

Clare

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Allerian,

I am on Enbrel but then I don't have straight forward lupus either. I have Lupus overlap with Scleroderma and evidence of RA damage. Unless you look at my current "official" diagnosis which is all about having Enbrel be covered by my prescription insurance. I could just as easily say I have the Karen connective tissue disease. There is another member here who was on Enbrel and is going to put on Humira as the Enbrel doesn't last the full 7 days for her.

Karen

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ask because arthritis seems to be a large componant of my lupus. For a few months, I tried Humira but had to discontinue it because it can aggravate neuropathy. I have a neuropathy and my rheumy didn't want to risk it getting worse. I am just particularly frustrated with my arthritis. It's like my only options are methotrexate and prednisone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts