TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Perhaps some of you will remember a month or so back, I was concerned about blood in my stools. It seemed to resolve by itself, and I thought no more of it.

Back in September of 07, I was wondering why I was having trouble voiding my bladder. I think I am starting to tie some of this stuff together.

3/6, I began to notice blood on the tissue when I wiped after using the bathroom. I have not mensturated since I had an uterine ablation done a few years back, and thought I was probably just spotting. Again, it resolved itself and I thought no more of it (i'm pretty forgetfull, an easy thing to do!).

Last Wednesday, I again began to notice blood on the tissue. I did some very thorough cleaning and investigation, and determined the blood was coming from my uretha. I went to the urgent care at my doctors urging, thinking I just had a UTI.

Tests do show blood in my urine, but nothing else to indicate an infection and chem 7 kidney functions were normal. I asked if my INR was elevated, if that could have caused the bleeding when I followed up yesterday with my GP. She stated only if I had an existing wound of some sort would the INR effect bleeding.

I go to the Urologist for further testing tomorrow. Somehow, I get the feeling he's going to want to do something pretty terrible you know where. :eek: UGH! My doc's thought is perhaps I have a cyst or something, or it is nephritis.

My question to all of you who have had kidney involvment is does this sound like anything you have ever experienced? Any ideas on what I might expect to happen at this appt. tomorrow afternoon?

:eek:hno: You know, my sick little mind always jumps to the worst possible conclusion (the one that has little or no possiblity of acutally ever being correct!). I go to "My god, I have a tumor the size of a watermellon and I"M GOING TO DIE!!":afraid: Truth is, it's probably a zit - ha ha:lol:

I'd love to hear a reality check from the boards on this one. Thanks for letting me vent! Tracy

·
Registered
5,267 Posts
I am no expert :sad: but seem to think if your kidney is not showing anything on the testing, it probably is coming from the uretha and the urologist will do a cytoscopy I think it is called where they stick a wire up the uretha and check it all out. It is usually an office procedure, does not hurt and it is rather quickly done. An ultrasound too can be done after that if he suspects anything else. They usually do a urine right there. AT least that is how they do at my docs office.

Good luck and I will hope for the best.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the results are in ...

and it is a kidney infection! :smirk:

Can you believe it took 4 different doctors almost an entire month to diagnosis a simple UTI?:explain:

You were correct Paula, I did get the dreaded cytoscopy, and it wasn't all that bad.

What WAS bad is the kind, elderly urologist decided he would just use his trusty little scope with the saline solution spitting out of it to investigate my vagina as well. :eek: One thing to fill your bladder up on exam - but a part of the body that is not completly enclosed ... what a mess that made. After all this humiliation, he determined that nothing appeared out of the ordinary.

Went to see my rhuemy, and they of course ran more labs and had me pee in the cup ...... again. Over the weekend, I just get more and more ill, running a fever (on prednisone, none the less!) my pee is pink, and going to the bathroom brings tears to my eyes. :cry2:

Finally, the nurse called from the rheumys office and stated that it "appeared" that I "might" have a UTI. They had sent the sample off for a culture to see exactly what bacteria it is. I lost it - told her I did not care what the petrie dish showed or did not show - I had a kidney infection, and could someone please give me an antibiotic NOW? :tantrum:

They relented, eventualy, and I am glad glad to report that I feel so much better already. Another case of lupus just complicating things. No one wanted to take responsibility, just in case it was related to my lupus, like none of them had ever gone to med school! What a fiasco, I'm just so glad to be on the mend now.

I think it would be easier and saner to just drive to Mexico and buy the stuff myself next time . (just joking girls, just joking ..!)

Never a dull lupie moment .... be well! :p

1 - 5 of 5 Posts