The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been experiencing a lot of bleeding under the skin on my feet, ankles and legs during and after sun exposure, with or without UVA & UVB sunscreen or sunblock. I developed this problem 7 years ago after a serious bout of hives. I thought it was due to the damage done to my skin from the hives but it has gotten much worse this year and is now in areas never affected by the hives. Some go away after I'm out of the sun for a while, others do not. I saw a dermatologist recently to try to get treatment. She barely glanced at it from a distance in a room that wasn't well lit, said it's common, and diagnosed it as Pigmented Purpuric Dermatitis without doing a thorough examination, blood tests or a skin biopsy. When I told her it has been getting much worse recently and that it gets really bad when I've been in the sun, she again stated it's common. I have never seen anyone with this condition on their legs, and, trust me, I've been looking. I looked up pictures of Pigmented Purpuric Dermatitis in medical texts and my bleeding under the skin looks nothing like what's portrayed in the photos.

I have shown the "rash" to my rheumatologist as well and received no response --- he acted like it was insignificant.

Is this a symptom of lupus? Any advice?

Barb

·
Registered
98 Posts
ITP--bleeding under the skin

Hi Barb
Not to worry you,but I had bleeding under the skin many years ago.
No one knew what it was and when I saw my doctor,she scratched her head and wondered "what kind of rash is this"??? She took some blood tests and sent me on my way. After a couple of days,I got so weak and ended up in emergency. I had pinpoit blood marks under my skin which began to spread very quickly.
They thought I had leukemia and did a bone marrow biopsy. It turned out to be severe ITP--idiopathic thrombocytopenia purpura.
I was in Hospital for 3 weeks and had platelet transfusions and then whole blood transfusions for several days. Major blood loss because my platelet count was so low. In fact by the time they did the bone marrow,they couldn't find any platelets.
I was treated and put on prednisone of 60 mgs a day for a year.
Lots of weight gain,ugly side effects and then bounced back to a normal me again.
After all this--I still wasn't diagnosed with lupus until another few major flares many years later. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! Very frustrating.
Get a doctor who will do a blood test and a thorough investigation.
I truly don't want to worry you but rashes can mean many things--some minor and some very serious. Get some answers and all the best!!!
Regards
Shirley

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Barb,

Just curious as to weather or not you are taking any blood thinners?

I am not sure what it is you have but take pictures and if it gets worse phone the GP.

I hope this clears up for you.

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi Barb, does the rash fade when you press it, if it doesn't you should be seeking medical advice. allergies can cause this sort of rash. Have you took photos to show your rheumy? I hope you get some answers soon.

Deb

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shirley, thanks for the info. I looked up the symptoms for ITP and I don't think it is what I have --- some of the symptoms don't fit my situation --- but I am going to ask my GP and/or rheumatologist about it.

Karol, I have never taken blood thinners. I was taking one aspirin a day as a preventive until April of this year. Since April, I have been taking approximately 3250 mgs per 24 hrs to address pain and inflammation but the bleeding under the skin on my ankles and lower legs started in 2002, got worse last year, spreading to my feet, and now is much worse, spreading to more areas of my feet and higher up on my legs. When I was a child, I would bleed under the skin on my forearms --- I would discover it after time in the sun, always after sweating profusely. That problem was never diagnosed. I don't know whether or not the two things are related but I can't help but wonder. I have taken photos, plan to share them with my GP and rheumatologist when I see them next.

Barb

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Deb, the rash doesn't fade when I press on it. When I press it, even really hard, there's no change.

BTW, I have cherry angiomas cropping up all over my body as well and this is not that.

Some of the bleeding under the skin looks like pin pricks, some look like tiny lakes and/or rivers. It is definitely blood just under the skin. It looks like small blood vessels have broken and bled.

What I don't understand is how the sun can do this kind of thing?! All of it developed during sun exposure.

Barb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.