The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

· Registered
1,471 Posts
Gosh thats a difficult one to answer. I can fully understand your desire to try the pred and see if it helps.

I had a discussion about self dosing with pred in May this year with my Rheumy and she agreed to allow me to increase my dose minimally for 5/6 days if I felt the need. She also said that it is something that I shouldnt be doing regularly but only in, what I would term, unusual or extraordinary circumstances. I have had two such 'circumstances' since May ;)

I did find that it felt kind of lonely making the decision on my own. Sort of damned if you do and damned if you don't I guess. However the pred helped me a little bit over a couple of bad weeks.

The only thing I would say is that, firstly, you already have permission from your old Rheumy to do this when you are experiencing a flare and despite your blood work you seem to be suffering at the moment. Secondly, you cannot contact anyone for advice on this and, thirdly, as a competent adult you should make the decision in your best interests.

If it were me I would probably take a 5/6 day burst and note any difference to how you are feeling. My Rheumy advised me to take 5mg for three days, 4mg for two days, 3mg for one day and back to 2mg (which Im currently only on at the moment as a maintenance dose). As you seem to only have 5mg tablets you might need to adjust the days and dosage a bit with a tablet splitter if you decide to give it a try.

Best of luck and let us know how you are

Take good care
Joan:rose:

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.