TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all does anyone have to carry a blood card with them i have to i have to have it on me at all times this is how it reads Blood Group A Positive
Nature of Antibody-ANTI-C+E the rest reads likeThis. if the patient should require a blood transfusion.It is essential that only blood of the following type should be given E Negative C Negatve it is essential for your safetly should you require a blood transfusion.I would be glad to here from any one has the same Best Wishes Elisabeth

·
Registered
705 Posts
Sorry Elisabeth, I'm no help. :scratch: I carry a card from our US Red Cross which identifies my blood type as O positive. But it's certainly not a requirement by any means. Hmmmm, surely someone else will chime in soon to shed some light for you. :idea:

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
no not that one sorry, only steroid one
and bloods one for azathioprine.

·
Registered
149 Posts
It probably isn't an essential thing to carry, unless you have a fairly rare type and have been told to carry it. Usually in hospital if you need a transfusion they can type and match your blood very quickly anyway, and you won't get given blood that doesn't match. I had a card like that when I was a blood donor many years ago though.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just re-read your message. I guess you do have a rare antibody, so it is important to carry your card and only ever be given matching blood so you don't get an allergic reaction to it. For most of us, we can take a much greater range of blood and blood products if we have to.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Hey Elisabeth,

My medic alert card says blood group AB negative, but that's it. I remember the C, E and D antibodies from when I was a blood donor and my blood donor card wrote blood group ab negative, antibody c negative, e negative, d negative. I'd asked then what the antibodies were and had been told that not having them wasn't important, but having one or more of them meant you needed to be aware of that as it plays a role in transfusions and preventing transfusion reactions!

I think for example that if you're A positive with C and E antibodies you need blood that's A positive with C and E antibodies and not without, and so the hospital treating you in this hypothetical scenario needs to be aware of that (hence the card)!

Here's a couple of links on blood typing and blood groups etc; I think you can read about the C, E and D antibodies under the Fisher System heading:

http://www.bloodbook.com/type-sys.html

http://www.bloodbook.com/rare.html

Hope you're well!

:flowery:

Zoi

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
:) Hi Elizabeth, and welcome. You bring us a very new and interesting thing to think about. No, I don't think that
very many of us in the USA carry a blood card unless we have a very rare type of blood. That got me thinking (which is really hard) that what we really need to be carrying is some type of card that says we have Lupus.
That is the first and most important thing they need to know. Maybe they could also list all the meds that we are currently taking, because in the moment of a crisis, we may not be able to tell them , or we may just be scared and forget. That is something I would really like to see. And make it the size of your drivers licence so that we can carry it in our wallets. Thanks, now you have an invention to make--great thinking. Keep posting:wink2:

·
Registered
149 Posts
That is really interesting about the idea of carrying a "lupus" card, with meds etc. on it. I know my mum always has an up to date list of her medications taped to the inside of the cupboard that she keeps the pills in, and in the event of her having to go to hospital, this list always goes with her. I think it does make it a lot easier for docs treating her. Its probably more important to have the list on you if you have medications that will potentially interact with other stuff, or if you are taking steroids, etc, but it would be useful to carry a small card all the time.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Hi Elizabeth :hello: :wavesmile: :hello:

I have to carry a card around with me because i take warfarin, but i never carry a purse with me. So i wear a chain with an sos talisman on it and i have put in there about the warfarin. I have also listed the meds that i am taking, as i take morpine and many other meds. I have listed my probs, illnesses and ailments too.

Take care :hug: Jo :hug:

·
Registered
705 Posts
Halfpint,

My hospital gave me the very same card you're talking about and I carry it in my wallet. It includes past surgeries, major illnesses, current diagnosis, meds, allergies, emergency contact, etc. It folds to wallet size and I keep it updated. Also, on my cellphone, in my contacts under ICE (in case of emergency) there is a text note to look for it and that I have SLE and APS.

We joke that if medical personnel don't know what SLE and APS are ... maybe they will look it up! :fingers: Hope so anyway...

Personally, I think all folks with lupus and other serious diseases/disorders should carry this information on them. In addition to being confused and not able to inform...we could be unconsious! :stretcher: Then we really would need something to "speak" for us. :help:

Just thought I would let you know... :love2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts