The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
Just a quick one - I've just been told that my blood-clotting test results have come back abnormal. Is this something that is often seen in auto-immune conditions or is it more likely to be completely unrelated?

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Commonly seen in lupus in particular, but can also occur as a stand alone illness (referred to as primary Anti-Phospholipid Syndrome/APS then) if you are referring to clotting antibodies. I'm glad they ran the tests on you so that you know. If you have not yet had a blood clotting event, then there's no need to stress too much over this abnormality. A significant percentage of people who test positive to the antibodies will *never* have a clotting event due to them.

The other possibility is that you have platelet abnormalities which can also cause blood to not clot effectively; many with lupus will have low platelets. But this too can occur as a stand alone illness.

I'm guessing you are referring to the former though, but decided to cover more bases in my response.

·
Premium Member
7,568 Posts
Hi, I would ask which tests came back abnormal was it the lupus anticoagulant? or the anti cardioplin anti bodies? Or as Maia said the platelets? With more info you will be better informed as to what the problem is.

Let us know how you get on.

Take care

Deb

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Maia;557198 said:
Commonly seen in lupus in particular, but can also occur as a stand alone illness (referred to as primary Anti-Phospholipid Syndrome/APS then) if you are referring to clotting antibodies. I'm glad they ran the tests on you so that you know. If you have not yet had a blood clotting event, then there's no need to stress too much over this abnormality. A significant percentage of people who test positive to the antibodies will *never* have a clotting event due to them.

The other possibility is that you have platelet abnormalities which can also cause blood to not clot effectively; many with lupus will have low platelets. But this too can occur as a stand alone illness.

I'm guessing you are referring to the former though, but decided to cover more bases in my response.
Thanks, guys.

I see the GP tomorrow so I hope to get some answers then. I'm fairly sure it's the anticardiolipin that's abnormal, but won't know for certain until tomorrow.

I'm slightly concerned as I've had a few episodes of a very tender left calf muscle, which has lasted 10-14 days, and then gone away apparently by itself. I just dismissed this as 'another odd symptom'; it first happened a couple of days after I snapped a tendon in my ankle and the A&E doctor at the time said it couldn't be DVT because the muscle wasn't noticeably 'hot', so when it happened again (it's happened 2 or 3 times since, always the left calf, usually when I'm in flare), I've just shrugged my shoulders and 'got on with it'.

I'm now wondering if my 'icepick' migraines (very sharp, very localized, but short-lived) might be connected - and even the severe pre-eclampsia that resulted in my son being delivered at 32weeks (altho that was 18 years ago!)

Sometimes it's difficult not to let your brain run away with you over things like this, isn't it? LOL!

Thanks again - I'll let you know how I get on.
Abi

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
KarolH;558592 said:
Hi Abi,

Checking in, how did you make out at the GP?
Hi Karol,

I didn't find out exactly what the blood test results were, she didn't tell me - but she HAS referred me to the Lupus Clinic at St. Thomas's hospital in London. I have an appt for the 12th November, so all fingers are crossed that I will get some answers!

Thanks for asking! ;)
Abi
x

·
Premium Member
7,568 Posts
That is excellent news Abi !!!!!!! I wish you well for that appt. Make sure you have all your symptoms and any bllod results as that will help them. Take photos of any rashes etc.

Let us know how you get on.

Take care

Deb

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.