The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI GUYS HOPE YOU ARE ALL WELL AND KEEPING AWAY FROM THE SUN:)

JUST A QUICKIE, HOW LONG DOES IT USUALLY TAKE FOR BLOOD TEST RESULTS TO COME BACK? ONLY I HAD MY DONE AT MY RHEUMIE APT A COUPLE OF WEEKS AGO AND IM SURE HE SAID THEY SHOULD BE BACK BY THE END OF THE FOLLOWING WEEK, WHICH SEEMED QUICK TO ME. I HAVENT HEARD ANYTHING YET THOUGH.

REGARDS

LOU:shrug:

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Lou dont worry im sure they will let you know when they are back, some take longer than others to come back, fbc takes a coulpe of days to come back to my dr's from the hosptail . but others you will be waiting for

good luck Lin x

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I would call into the office and inquire about the results, they should be back within 2 weeks unless they had to send it off to another lab and wait to get results back by mail. Sometimes they just forget to call... and if you're stressing about it at all then it's probably best to call and ask about them. ;)

At least, that's what I would do!

·
Registered
276 Posts
Hi Lou

Hope you managed to get your results yesterday! I know when I've had bloods taken I generally phone the rheumys secretary to check if they are back although I know they can't give any info over the phone. But if I know they're back I make an appointment at my GPs surgery and get the results from them.

Just an idea!

Mrs M x

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I havent checked back for a few days. Hope you are all well.

I left a message on secretarys answer machine to see if my bloods were back. She telephoned me yesterday and said they were back and a copy had been sent to my gp and my file with the results were on rheumies desk. My rheumie is on holiday until 11th May but she said he may pop in over the weekend and if he does he may write to me or ring me with the results next week and he will be doing a letter to gp also. So fingers crossed eh.

On another matter, what kind of exercise would anyone recommend. I am really trying to lose weight atm and I know anything too strenuous is totally out of the question so i have been just doing a bit of step on my wii fit but even thats shattering. I did 20 mins last nite (very slow step, not fast workout) and im soooooooooooooooooooooo tired and achey all over today. I cant seem to win. Any advice would be grateful.

I really want a holiday (although i have to hide from sun) so ive made an agreement with myself that i cant book a holiday until i lose 1 stone. Hopefully it will work.

Regards

Lou

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
H Lou,

The thing with lupus and exercise - at least in my experience - is that you have to actually get to a certain level of disease control and well-being BEFORE you can actually do much exercise and by much I mean "easy does it".

On the whole regular exercise is good for you and can improve fatigue and energy levels. However, the word exercise is oh so vague. What most people consider exercise would push me into a flare that might last up to four months so I have to be very careful.

I believe you are not yet on any meds and presume you are still feeling absolutely awful?

I find that all I can do when I'm not good is a little GENTLE walking. On good days the walk might be brisker, on bad, it's granny pace. But every little counts, even being active around the house, going up and down stairs and so on...

When I get back into a period of stability I am suddenly able to do a lot more. Nothing amazing by a normal exercise freak's standards but go for longer walks, brisker, do a little cycling on the flat...

Now I know that all this doesn't help in the slightest when thinking of weight loss. The thing is that in order to achieve weight loss through exercise the exercise has to be very intense and, of course, combined with healthy eating habits and diet.

I just try and do what I can. If some days that's just a twenty minute walk then so be it. If I can do five minutes on the elliptic (crosstrainer), it isn't much but it'll build up slowly to ten, fifteen... and on the days I can't do it, i don't even try.

Sorry not to be much more help on that, it's just my experience.

Katharine

·
Lisa_S
441 Posts
Hi Lou.

Walking is my first choice for low energy days too. If I have enough energy at the end of the day, I also like doing deep water workouts, where you're in a deep pool wearing a floatation belt and doing a bunch of different exercises that mimic things like running or skiing. They're good because (if the class is a good one) you'll get both strength and cardio training, and since you're in the water, it's gentle on your joints.

Another bonus is that my local pool has a hot tub, which my joints love!

Having said that, I'm on prednisone again (boo!) and my weight is creeping up no matter what I do, so I'm just trying to focus on the "being healthy" aspects of diet and exercise, and not on the number on the scale.

Cheers,

Lisa

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice guys. I felt physically drained yesterday however still had to do a load of ironing but when i went to bed i couldnt name a part of my body that didnt hurt:sad:. Still very achey today still but looking forward to a nice relaxing weekend in wales, ive packed my sunblock ready8). I think i may start swimming next week and see how that goes combined with a bit of gentle walking. Doesnt help having a prolapsed womb either because the pain from that restricts me also.

Ah well, thats life eh. These things are meant to test us.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Regards

Lou :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
hi Lou

Its good to see u trying to b healthy its a bit of a pig when u r ill knowing what to do. You seem to be on the right track. weight issues r my concern I went through a period of wasting away. Eating loads more than I would normally and the weight still came off . I wasnt getting any nutrition from my food and anemia iron level 2 even though I was taking iron pills 3 times. My body was terrible like a bag of bones with wrinkly skin yikes. Finally sorted with meds something started to work. Now Im the same as you trying not 2 put too much on. Feel especially fat round my tummy and I never used to have this problem.My rheumy says its the steroids ( would love a trim tum)Any one have any ideas on this?
Would love to do an aquasize class but I very breathless and the idea scares me a bit also afraid of picking something up

dixy

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
I think one approach is to consider what exercise you would do if you have the flu and your immune system was revved up to combat infection. Presumably you wouldn't be exercising and putting further demands on your body. Having untreated lupus is a bit like having the flu as far as inflammation and immune system activity goes.

I have been doing stretching exercises lately. There are some books about stretching exercises for different situations. One is stretching in the office which suits me very well and take very little physical effort. It might be American but I am sure similar could be found in the UK.

Some of the arthritis sites have good exercise suggestions

:) Feel better soon and enjoy your weekend.

Take care

Clare

1 - 11 of 11 Posts