TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm new to the whole lupus thing. But I have blood work come back as: GFR-57 low, normal range is more than 60. Sed rate 28 high....normal range 0-20, c-reactive protein 16.9H norm is less than 5.0, ptt-la 49H, norm range less than 40. Ana-positive homogenous 1:320. And CH 50complement 157 High, norm range is 60-144. Rheumie didn't say much, so I've just been looking around at what they mean. What sort of questions or tests should I ask for? Was put on plaguenil and prednisone for now. Thanks all!

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
With the increased PTT, I would ask if other clotting blood tests (such as anti-cardiolipin) will be run in the future, especially if you've ever had any clotting issues (thrombophlebitis, DVT, miscarriage especially after 10 weeks, etc.). It's important to know about this if you plan on having children in the future too.

The CH50 is really only slightly elevated, it's probably not too concerning. YOu may want to ask about doing individual complement testing - in particular c3 and c4 as those are most relevant to lupus.

The sed rate should go down with the prednisone, depending on what dose you're on. It's a general measure of inflammation, and often indicates disease activity in autoimmune diseases like lupus and RA. It can also be elevated for other reasons too... CRP is also a measure of inflammation. It is sometimes elevated in autoimmune disease but not as commonly as the sed rate.

Were the other individual auto-antibodies run but found to be normal? Things like rheumatoid factor, the ENA's (SSA, SSB, anti-RNP, etc.), anti-cardiolipins? I would imagine these have been run already but if not you may want to ask about those too.

Glad to hear the pred is helping you out! Take care....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for quick response, going out of my mind, lol. ok Yes had all tests done too as u mentioned them, they came back normal. No plans to have anymore kids. 1 is enough, lol. OOps no c3 or c4 run. Oh and the ANA 1:320 homogenous.....is this definitly a form of lupus? Sorry for dumb questions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also The pred dose is30 mg per day for 5 days, then 20mg x 5days then 10 mg x 5 days, and i take hydroxychlorquin 200mg once a day. Whew prolly easier just saying plaquenil. lol

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi mammer,

That's a normal sort of dosing for the Pred - we often refer to it as a 'burst' here in order to get inflammation down fairly quickly. If you are having trouble with lots of pain returning when you are weaning down then do contact your doctor, some people need to stay on a small dose to get them through until the Plaquenil has time to take effect. Plaquenil is an excellent drug but it takes some months to work. Your doctor may introduce some non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) to help you through in the interim too.

The homogenous staining pattern for ANA is quite common in SLE. Other patterns are possible too though.

love
Lily

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
my chest has been hurting since monday, I told rheumie she didn't even do anything. Think i should go to gp for it?

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi mammer,

Can you describe your chest hurting, someone may be able to identify with it.

Of course we can't say you should or shouldnt see your GP about it, but as a general rule if something becomes worse or doesnt go away in a couple of days then it's worth getting it checked out :hug:
love
Lily

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ty Lily! well we'll see how i do on monday. Feel like a giant step back fingers wrists legs feet are hurting soo bad, couldn't spread my hand out geez.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
urine test/ bloodwok

hi all, had urinanalysisdone, went in cause of pain behind chest, had ekg said it was ok, but urine had leukocytes and rbc in it, gave me cipro..... still have pain in chest area, was wondering waht it all means and if i should pursue going to doc again about pain. See rheumie again may 8th. ONE MOR QUESTION, my ana came back 1:320 homgenous, high sed and esr rate high ggt, and gfr high. I have been reading about the patterns, but still kinda confused ...so here goes is homgenous a bad one? Thanks for any help you could give me!

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi mammer,

:hug: If you have had a bladder infection (which it sounds like from your urinalysis) then it can often stir up our Lupus. Lupus doesn't like infections and it often sends us into a flare-up with increased pain etc. I hope that clears up for you soon. I hope that you will follow up with your GP to get another urinalysis done and make sure the infection is gone............with us it often takes more than one course of antibiotics to get us over it completely.

I would ask your Rheumy about this chest pain and see what he thinks it is, seeing as you are going in a few days. I am glad your ECG is ok. Did they do a chest x-ray? Are you having more pain when breathing in.........does sitting forward ease the pain?

As I mentioned the homogenous pattern is often found in SLE. The different patterns aren't necessarily worse than each other they just help the doc sort out which disease may be behind the whole process. Even then they aren't foolproof many here have different patterns and there seems to be no comparison as far as severity or mildness of disease.

Good luck with your appt and let us know how you get along.

love
Lily

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
went to hosp last week, chest pain, they did all sorts of tests and came up with lupus and hiatal hernia for a cause, then they told me I have a hemangioma on kidney. I still having pains in chest area, but geuss it is abdominal pain. Doc took me off plaquenil, as I'm legally blind in one eye, and want to keep my good eye good! Down to only 5mg of prednisone a day, or rheumy told me to take more if needed. I'm thinking about seeing a kidney doc, oh yea, they told me i had gallstones too, but they probably aren't the reason I'm in pain. I'm just perplexed by all of this, and tired of it.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi mammer,

Was it your Rheumy who took you off the Plaquenil? I'm sorry to hear of all your newly diagnosed problems, it's probably a good idea to see a Nephrologist about the hemangioma.

love
Lily

1 - 13 of 13 Posts