The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been waking up from afternoon naps with a fever (not horribly unusual) but the last couple days I've been awakening with blue fingers. They tingle and feel "neuropathy"-ish. Also not horribly unusual. But what is completely new is the color. They're grayish blue. Not the whole hand, just the fingers, from the first knuckle all the way to the tips. Thumbs too. And while the palms are warm, the fingers are cold to the touch.

Anybody heard of this or know what might cause it?

Sunny

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi,
I've had SLE for 15 years and the only effect until recently was blue (cold) finger tips and sore joints. My consultant informed me it was just bad circulation and there was nothing he could to help. My self help ranged from electric heated gloves to just putting them on my husbands back (he's always warm), at least then I can share my pain with him.

Cleo:):)

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Sunny, I am sorry for what you are going thru right now. Do you have Raynauds?
That would answer a lot, my fingers turn colors, the same as you, just that it is my whole fingers that turn colors. That is the only thing that I can think of. I do hope
that you find out the correct answer soon, to put your mind at ease. Do take care
of yourself, Sunny, as we all get plenty of support from you, now we want to give some extra hugs and support to you. Be well and let us know.

·
Registered
31 Posts
confused1;511868 said:
I've been waking up from afternoon naps with a fever (not horribly unusual) but the last couple days I've been awakening with blue fingers. They tingle and feel "neuropathy"-ish. Also not horribly unusual. But what is completely new is the color. They're grayish blue. Not the whole hand, just the fingers, from the first knuckle all the way to the tips. Thumbs too. And while the palms are warm, the fingers are cold to the touch.

Anybody heard of this or know what might cause it?

Sunny
It sounds like to me that you have raynaud's. Raynaud's can be treated usually with Calcium blockers( I can't taken them because I severely low BP already), nitro glycerin paste, or baby aspirin. Depends on your severity. And Raynaud's is a hyper sensitivity to cold temperatures and the tendency to have vascular dilation with a hair trigger.

One thing to be concerned about is that those with Raynaud's can get gang green infection due to the poor circulation in their extremities.
But that is extremely rare.

One side effect of Raynaud's is a difficult time in giving blood. Blood vessels shrink and become hard to hit...the nurse have to put heating pads on my arms in order to hit a vein for any blood tests.;)

Drink warm drinks(even in the summer), wear layers, gloves,socks, etc.

You are probably sleeping on your hands and that isn't helping any...

And take to a Rhumetologist about this.

P.S. I am not a doctor...just see too many of them.

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
if they have turned greyish purple and stayed that way, see a doctor.

If it is reynauds, they will change colour backwards and forth (ie they will pink up).

If they change colour and stay discoloured then you need to see a doctor.

I have reynauds, but have also experienced a blocked artery in my arm that turned my fingers purple permanently. This sort of problem needs urgent attention.

Otherwise if they are pinking up inbetween episodes, just mention it next time you see your rheumie, as in may be reynauds.

hth

raglet

1 - 5 of 5 Posts