The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

Just thought I'd ask if anyone could settle my nerves about my bone scan tomorrow. I'm not really sure what to expect and whether I will feel anything?

Also not right sure why Rheumy's arranged this appointment. Silly me not asking at our last visit but I find it difficult to take everything in:hehe: Is there a common reason for having this done?

At least my lovely husband will be with me so that I won't get bored or too worked up.

Hope everyone is well
Love Mrs M

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Mrs. M,

A bone scan is painless and simply a walk in the park. You may even fall asleep while being scanned. You just lay there and the machine does all the work.

Not able to remember things.................the lovely brain fog.

It happens to the best of us.

Good luck with your scan and let us know how it goes.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Mrs. M

Do you know what type of scan it is? If its a bone density scan then its an absolute doddle. Just lie back while a machine travels over your body. Nothing to it. However there are other scans which can involve an injection of radioactive material.

I have only had the former so cant comment on the other one.

A bone density scan would usually be ordered if you were on prednisone as pred can thin out the bones and this scan can tell if the bones are becoming thinner. Have you been on pred? It can also be ordered if you are complaining of specific bone/joint pain on various parts of your body.

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your quick response.:)

Joan just to say I'm having the bone scan where they inject you first with a radioactive tracer and then scan you around 3 hours later or at least that's what it says on my appoinment letter!

Thankyou
Mrs M x

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi again

There are several reasons why such a scan would be ordered. Are you having unexplained bone pain for example? Scans like these can detect stress fractures which are hard to pick up on in ordinary xrays. They can also detect infections, cancers, arthritis, etc

Here is a link which might help explain it a bit better.

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/CA/00020.html

The best of luck tomorrow. Let us know how you get on

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hi mrs M.

Don't worry about it. I had one of these last month, also requested by my rheumy. I think its a standard test for ruling out stuff before they are left with Lupus.

The injection is no worse than a blood test and the scan is just that. I sat in a chair while they scanned my head then just lay on the table and was scanned. I didn't even have to roll over the scanner goes under the table for that bit. I think it took about 45 mins for the scan and 2 mins for the injection. Inbetween I went out for lunch with my hubby which was a nice treat.

I get my results on 21st of July. Try not to worry - it really, really is a simple procedure. Treat yourself inbetween, then it'll be more like a day out than a hospital visit.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Shadow girl;514137 said:
Hi mrs M.

Don't worry about it. I had one of these last month, also requested by my rheumy. I think its a standard test for ruling out stuff before they are left with Lupus.

The injection is no worse than a blood test and the scan is just that. I sat in a chair while they scanned my head then just lay on the table and was scanned. I didn't even have to roll over the scanner goes under the table for that bit. I think it took about 45 mins for the scan and 2 mins for the injection. Inbetween I went out for lunch with my hubby which was a nice treat.

I get my results on 21st of July. Try not to worry - it really, really is a simple procedure. Treat yourself inbetween, then it'll be more like a day out than a hospital visit.
Well put. I had the same scan done and it really is painless.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone!

Bone scan went fine although did leave me slightly stiff and achy:(

Injection went ok but as I'm always told my veins are very deep and wiggly and then yesterday they also added tiny too. But they got there:hehe:
The scan unfortunately didn't require me to lay down which would have been a bonus as I was shattered after the trip there and waiting about.

Anyway what I had to do was get into all kinds of positions and the gentleman pressed the machine against the part that neede scanning! I had 11 scans in total that ranged from 4 to 7mins each where I had to stay very still. My goodness was I stiff at the end of all that. Although hubby giggled at the way I was walking because I was sooooo achy and stiff:hehe: Glad I amused somebody.

Mrs M

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Glad you survived the scan, let us know how it goes with the results!

Take care and get lots of rest now!

Love Lesley

·
Registered
191 Posts
Glad its over and done with. Your scan sounds like they didn't have the high tech couch like the one mine was done with in newcastle. I just assumed the couch moving instead of me was standard. Woops!

Hope the results are ok. When are they due?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi Karol I should get results in a week the chap said. Although I'm not with Rheumy until 8th August so I presume if it shows anything they'd contact me.

Thanks Mrs M

1 - 13 of 13 Posts