The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all...again.

I'm in the process of determining whether or not I have lupus; I've seen a rheumatologist because of my somewhat confounding results - negative ANA, positive anti-dsDNA. In the meantime, because of some of my symptoms (night sweats, occassional low fever), my internist did a PPD test for TB exposure.

Naturally, the PPD test came out difficult to read, but the doctors labelled it positive. It is right on the borderline of positive (it is 12 - 15mm, and official positive for me would be 15mm) and the doctors said it was "not a typical positive," which I took to mean that it does not look at all like the large, obvious indurated circle that you'll see when you google the images of positive tests. My chest x-ray was negative, so now my decision will be whether I go on antibiotics for 9 months to hopefully kill any TB germs that may be latent in my body, or wait for six months to a year and re-do the
PPD. The only problem with waiting that long is that if I actually have latent TB, there's a chance that it could convert to active TB. (only a 10% chance, but still...)

My concern is that, since I've been going through some of these autoimmune-like problems, I've had reactions to all sorts of tests. I had a flu pneumovax and developed a HUGE hard, red welt on my arm. I went to an allergist and tested positive for tons of things that I had not been allergic to in the past (shellfish, dogs, etc.). So I'm a bit suspicious that I had a skin reaction that mimics a positive PPD.

So sorry for the long-winded post, but I'm wondering if anyone else started developing odd skin reactions to allergens, injections, vaccines etc. when they started having autoimmune problems.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hi cammie.....yes, over the past three years i have had very odd rashes?!! and i am today seeing a dermy:)....things that i wasnt allergic too i am now!....i dont know anything about the TB results, but im certain someone will pop along to help you....all the best..speak soon jane;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi Cammie,

As a child, I tested positive for TB, but my chest xray was negative. My entire family was tested and no one else tested positive. It was determined that I must have come in contact with someone with TB and my body fought it off. I had no symptoms, and therefore did not require antibiotics.

Over the past few years, since my lupus was active I have begun reacting to things I never have in the past. I am suddenly allergic to bandaids and anything containing latex, yet have used them all my life with no problem. I can no longer wear any type of earring, if I do, my ears blow up twice their size and turn fire red. Same things happen when I use bacitracin ointment...weird

Is it possible they can redo the TB test before you decide to start on antibiotic therapy? Since you are experiencing some symptoms, it may just be better to be safe than sorry and take the 9 month course of meds.

Take care,
Sharon

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mysharonna;496198 said:
Hi Cammie,

As a child, I tested positive for TB, but my chest xray was negative. My entire family was tested and no one else tested positive. It was determined that I must have come in contact with someone with TB and my body fought it off. I had no symptoms, and therefore did not require antibiotics.

Over the past few years, since my lupus was active I have begun reacting to things I never have in the past. I am suddenly allergic to bandaids and anything containing latex, yet have used them all my life with no problem. I can no longer wear any type of earring, if I do, my ears blow up twice their size and turn fire red. Same things happen when I use bacitracin ointment...weird

Is it possible they can redo the TB test before you decide to start on antibiotic therapy? Since you are experiencing some symptoms, it may just be better to be safe than sorry and take the 9 month course of meds.

Take care,
Sharon
Yeah, I just want to make sure I actually have been exposed before I start meds and not just that I'm starting to go through the early hormonal changes that would be causing night sweats, because I'm in my late 30s, and the hormone changes would be totall possible. The TB-exposure antibiotics are liver toxins, and about 1 out of 100 people develop hepatitis from them. To me, those aren't really fantastic odds.

What I'm really teed off about at the moment is tht after they did the usual arm-prick PPD test, I found out that there's now on the market a blood test for TB exposure, which would totally eliminate the guesswork in "borderline" positive tests. Naturally, you can't take this blood test for a year after you get the PPD because the dead TB they inject in you to do the PPD will cause a false positive blood test. I don't understand why the heck they don't just do the blood?!?!? My internist will be getting an earful.

And interesting you commented on the band-aids. In the last few years I've developed an allergy to anything that has any kind of glue/stickiness against the skin. Can't wear band-aids or use cloth tape, paper tape, any of them. Huge, red, itchy reaction to any and all of them.

·
Registered
300 Posts
thats the same reaction I get to the bandaids and tape, sometimes the skin breaks down so much it bleeds and is painful too. weird stuff!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts