TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:blush: I suffer with brain fog and have no idea why I have it or what causes could be.

Is it just a symptom of Lupus without any other serious implications!

Most people tell me its normal of all females that have given birth:eek: , but I'm sure that Lupus sufferers have a more severe kind of brain fog - well I do, my mind is frequently lost in an unknown void.

Lesley

:hehe:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there,

That's a complex question.

Sometimes it is just a symptom of lupus with no other serious complications - other than wanting to pay the shopping and suddenly realising that you can't remember the code for your bank card :rotfl: yep, that was me yesterday! Thank God, I could remember my visa code.

Sometimes it can be a sign of something else and if coupled with headaches etc the doc might order an MRI to be sure there's nothing else going on. In my case there isn't. It just seems I'm rusting prematurely!

It is certainly worth mentionning to the doc and watching. Tell him how it affects you and how bad the fog is.

hugs and stuff,
Katharine

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Lesley,

Brain fog seems to be standard with lupus. It can be worse with certain types of medications. I think the brain fog comes from the fatigue. Our bodies are exhausted and it is harder for our brains to work when we have no physical energy. I know that before this past week my brain fog was lessened considerably which relates to my disease being under better control. After my adventure on Monday I went into a flare and the fog levels have risen.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hi,
I am going to agree with Karen-I am a complete basketcase when I am exhausted. I can't even form a sentence without doing the"ummmmm"
thing. I also think it might be meds too.
I have fibromyalgia along with my lupus and
they say brain fog is part of FMS which is another illness that leads you to sleep deprivation. I hope you can work through your brain fog, but remember you are not alone.;)

Take Care,
Becca

·
Registered
74 Posts
brain fog - yuck! :(

I was told - at least for me - that brain fog is caused by a release of an enzyme in to the blood system. It ends up in your brain and the fog rolls in. Your body releases this enzyme (name totally not in brain) when you are stressed - due to - fatigue, muscle damage (big one with my MCTD), some medications and I am sure a few other reasons I have forgotten. I believe it is the same enzyme that is released with a heart attack - but don't quote me on that:lol:

May your fog roll on out
Pukeko

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Here's a good article about it

http://www.hss.edu/conditions_14551.asp

Maybe already mentioned but hyothryoid and anemia can cause it and they are fairly common along with lupus. Fibro too I think.

For me definitely far worse when very tired, depressed, anxious (most of the time to greater /lesser degree), emotionally drained, short of sleep or simply very focused on a particular activity or train of thought which is probably normal. It's hard for me to tell these days what might be aging a but I did ask about this several years ago and was told that some degree of vasculitis in brain could account for what I felt pretty sure was unusual forgetfulness for me.
However the doc pointed out that increased forgetfulness was common after menopause and improves with HRT so there is also some hormonal link.
Um,............... I forget what else I wanted to say :wink2:

Clare

·
Dee
302 Posts
Katharine I keep my card numbers in my mobile phone under my pet names :lol:, I have a lot of trouble with the visa number because I hardly use it.

My brain fog seems to be getting worse, I have so much trouble remembering sometimes, I could do with a jotter & pen around my neck lol

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
This is interesting. I always have brain fog when the pain is bad which I thought was down to neurotransmitter thingys to the brain.

Fatigue makes sense though as I'm probably more tired as a result of the pain.

Hugz,

Pam xxx

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
In my case, I am sure my brain fog is directly related to c.n.s vasculitis, as Clare stated above. Our blood vessels and arteries are effected, as Lupus is a connective tissue disease. I have Raynaud's so, when I see my hands turning colors. I realise the blood flow is being effected...so it makes sense that our brain's blood flow can be impeded in the same way..another example is the malar rash that is caused by blood vessels in our face being effected...

Brain fog could be caused by other factors as well..Most probably varying from person to person. Just a guess on my part..of course. :wink2:

Love,
Sandy

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
HI ALL!

Thanks again for the responses they are all so helpful!

I certainly get need to study and note when I seem at my worst (if I can remember!). My Immunologist is aware of the problem but said my bloods showed no brain problems, can they conclusively tell this from bloods?

Anyway once the healthcare pull themselves together and let me know who is taken proper responsibility of care then I can move forward. I still have my Immunologist appointment on 10 March, but as you may know GP is not sure that I should be just seeing him.

A BIG THANKS!

Lesley

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Lesley :)

My Immunologist is aware of the problem but said my bloods showed no brain problems, can they conclusively tell this from bloods?
The statement he made is incorrect. However as you only mention brain fog then it is not something that will show up on most of their brain related tests anyway. Like the others I daresay that it's a combination of our fatigue (big time) and various other contributing factors like possible neurotransmitter problems, sometimes meds, lack of sound sleep, which cause brain fog.

The more serious brain problems come with more alarming and specific symptoms.

The only way to conclusively investigate the brain is by scans (preferably with contrast dye), lumbar punctures, and various other neurological tests (EEG, EVP etc). A Neurologists initial appointment and neurological observations during a first appointment can reveal a lot especially when taken into consideration with your symptoms experienced over time.

love
Lily

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
:) Hi there, brain fog is going to be the death of me yet.
I am so tired of saying "uummmm" that I feel like someone that hasent learned to talk yet. I am worse when I am upset, nervous, or tired, well that is almost everything.
But, in all seriousness, there are times if I go thru it like a week in a row or more, I do get very scared that it might be Lupus CNS. I truly have not mentioned this to my Rheumy for two reasons. One>she is new and I don't know her personality yet, and two> I am scared, period. scared.
I am sorry that I put that downer in the post, I guess I am hoping that someone will have some answers. I'm sorry.:wink2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts