The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Sarah A
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Can any one tell me what constitutes brain fog?

Is it just small litle things like forgetting where you've put your keys or purse or bigger blank episodes?

Recently i've had 2 episodes: -
Once whilst driving down a well known road to me i felt that i reconised the road but couldn't place where i knew it from? This was quite scary as i was very confused and had the kids in the car!:eek:

The second time i was thinking about where everyone slept in the house (heaven knows why :p ) but got really upset because i couldn't place where my mum or dad slept? - My mum and dad have never slept over and my mum died over twelve years ago! - I've lived in this house for 15 years with hubby and children! This went on for about 5mins. :sad:

Both seemed very real at the time as if someone had wiped out bits of my memory but and lefted traces only to taunt me with. Is this typical of brain fog?

Recently i've also been suffering with lots of headaches not normal for me except the period before i was diagnosed.

I've also just come out of a bit of a flare.

Sarahxx

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Sarah,
I always just think this is a bizarre illness and leave it at that. I do all sorts of stupid things and consequently even when I am right people assume I have got things muddled.
I am sure others will also tell you this.
x Lola

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Sarah,

When my brain fog was at its worst it went from short term memory loss to severe concentration problems to things like your describing. I'd set off to drive somewhere I really knew (like work...) and be driving and suddenly think I don't know which road to take to get there.

One thing to keep in mind is that tiredness will always make it far worse and coming out of a flare doesn't help.

My brain fog, or cognitive problems have improved considerably as the disease has got more under control. I'm not doing so well now but the brain fog hasn't come back as bad as it used to be, especially as I don't even try to "work" if I'm feeling foggy.

As Lola said, even when I am right, my kids question everything I say now and sometimes try it on saying "no Mum you said..." trying to catch me out. They're convinced my brain has gone on a permanant vacation :lol:

Try and rest as much as possible, that should help a little,
Katharine

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Brain Fog

Hi sarah well i must have them every day just been out for dinner my mother took me and hubby when we were on our way home we went into Tescos and i meet a girl i know if her daughter had had her baby she said yes she had a little girl hubby says to me i told you that the other day i could not remember so we had a row in Tescos my mother walked away and let us get on with it :lol: :lol: so if that is brain fog then yes i have it every day:lol: elisabeth

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I think that since this is new to you, and they are of the more severe type of brain fog issues, plus with new headache symptoms, I would be sure to mention them to your rheumatologist and see if any investigations should be done.

For me, brain fog issues are usually more minor... things like misplacing my purse, forgetting where I'm going, forgetting names/dates, etc. I have had a few problems a bit more serious recently though myself - like backing into a car that I was JUST TOLD/reminded was in my driveway but forgot within 1 minute so I backed right into it!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ouch! Did you get hurt?

Don't feel soo bad, I once slammed my own head in the car door - I do believe that takes a good bit of talent.:lol:

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
:) Hi Sarah," Brain Fog" is probably one of the top five unsolved mysteries in the world. I forgot what the other four are. For me, it gets worse when I get nervous, scared-
like I don't know the road I am on, when I am rushed, and I am sure there are a lot of other times. Oh ya, when hubby corrects me in public. It can get you so scared that you become convinced that you should not be allowed to be unsupervised. Mine does get better when my whole body in general gets better. By that I mean that I have a day when I feel really human, and ( normal ). You need to learn to pace yourself, I've worked that into an art, rest when you can, or nap when you can,carry a cell phone if you have one,and turn a normal job into 2-3 smaller jobs.
I hope this helps, rest and put yourself first.:wink2:

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Hi Sarah first of all love your pic and your angel saying. to about friends..i am supported by my wonderful angels...

brain fog well where do we begin...
my short term memory is the pits...i mean forgetting what you are saying halfway through a conversation...simply not remembering what the heck you have said.

Also its the being in a shop or at a cashpoint and not doing what the heck you are doing.

i so hardly ever go out on my own now as i dread being in that situation.

i have hughes so when my inr is low and the bloods to thick it simplys wipes my memory and i forget the silliest things...

we sure have to deal with some things !

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Ducky... yes I am fine. My truck was fine. The other car was NOT fine and got a big dent in it! :)

That does sound like quite a talent you have though! Ouch!

·
Registered
13 Posts
When talking about brain fog does it also have to do with speech????

I'm asking because before I was really confident when I spoke in public....I would present things at my school and perform in front of everyone so I had the confidence. But now...I mix my words up to the point where people don't understand what I'm trying to say. And also Christine I completely agree with you about the forgetting things half way through a conversation....it's really not good and frustrating, especially when you have a good point to make at uni and you just can't get your words out.

And its really weird...I can't work in the library...I get distracted too easily but now I understand why....concentration problems. Never had them before.

You guys have answered so many questions!!!! Like about forgetting....if someone asks me to do something and I say ok.....I then completely forget and they get angry at me....its all making sense now!!

Thanks!!!

By the way Sarah I definitely think you should tell your rheumatologist about the brain fog and headaches....he or she does need to know.

Take care

Jules xxx

·
Registered
468 Posts
I've not had much experience with lupus having been diagnosed for about a year now, but I have done the following:

-forgotten to register withdraws in my checkbook,, luckily no bouncy checks

-forgotten refills even after writing it down, setting the bottle right by the phone

-lost my credit card bill, then lost the credit card, reported it lost, got a replacement, lost that one as well, then found the first one in a book I have put it in to be "safe"

-gone to the grocery store for one thing and of course left that item there in the store when I left

-losing test orders and prescription slips I have become expert at

I forget names etc. places, money amounts of course having a bit of depression doesn't help the cause at all. Let you doctor know what is going on so he/she can keep an eye on it. Karly

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yeah, I'm having what I guess you would say is brain fog. I have fevers pretty much all day. That's another story.....Anyway, today I have been trying to do a few things around the house but I keep forgetting where I've just put something and I also keep forgetting what it is I was going to do next. It's so frustrating.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Blame it on the Lupus. When badly flaring I can have any sort of fog, from the same thing "normies" have (anyone can forget where the car is for a moment) to full-blown terrifying minutes with no idea of what city I am in, what I am doing drivining there, which car I am in (one is standard, the other automatic), etc. My answer is simple: stop, breathe, pray, wait.
Douglas+

PS: do report these event to your medical helper

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
:what: Oh my, I have just noticed my washing machine swishing around with soap and water, low and behold "NO CLOTHES"!!!!:eek: :grrr:
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
175 Posts
I too have brain fog, I forget the little things and the big things some times. I even have trouble speaking full sentences since I forget what I'm saying halfway through. This is especially embarrassing at work. Last night I ordered dinner in and they asked me cash or check. I just stuttered for a minute because I honestly didn't know what to say, I knew I wanted to pay with check, but I don't know if I just forgot what each was or what!! After talking with some people here about my brain fog, I'm starting to just try and accept that this is the way I am and I'm starting to try to just laugh at myselft too when others laugh at me....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Does this count? I picked up and threw my keys away unstead of the bottle cap next to them. Luckily I realized what I was doing as they hit the trash can. :rotfl:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts