TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi again,

A quick question to all of you who suffer "brain fog"; Erm, could you please describe what it feels like?

Also, is this a sign of brain involvement?

Thanks

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi again,

Brain fog is relatively common with both lupus and fibro - it feels like "fog" - difficulty thinking clearly, concentration, memory, difficulty calculating. It is important to stress that these difficulties are often also caused by lack of sleep or poor sleep quality!

It is not usually a sign of brain involvement. If it were very severe it might be but it is also very common simply for people who have lupus. CNS lupus in itself is pretty rare but brain fog is common. It tends to improve with improved control of disease activity. If elements of it remain it is usually a question of simply learning to write things down and not trust one's memory quite as much as before.

Katharine

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
Katherine's said it all really. I would describe it as like that first few minutes of the day when you wake and your in a kind of sleepy limbo. I had varying degrees of that

·
11,405 Posts
Brain fog happens when I am flaring or just plain fatigued. It is worse at those times. Sometimes I cant think of the word I want to say, or ask the same question over a few times. I get a look from hubby when I have asked to many times.:whistle:

Or I just blame it on getting another year older.:what:

Don't worry to much.
Lyn

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
In my case it is stupid things like forgetting how to use a phone, sitting locked in car because I have pressed wrong button and can't think what to do next, being asked my address and giving one I last lived at twenty years ago!
Hope this is some help Surfer Boy. How are you doing?
x Lola

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies :)

Hmmmmm! I'm not sure if I have brain fog - or if it's just my bad memory (which I've always had!!). Seriously though, I think it's the latter.

The reason why I asked was that recently I've been getting quite blurred vision - especially my left eye and I was wondering if this had something to do with brain fog.

I'm going to book and appt with my optician again just to make sure it's not the plaq or pred. It has got worse since starting the pred so will have to definitely look into that.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Howdy,
I was going to keep out of this but your reference to the blurred vision is too apposite to an incident I had. I was very concerned because my eyes provide so much in my life, so when I went to the ophthalmologist for my regular check up, I mentioned the blurry vision. He said that the eyes were fine, I did not need a change in the Rx and in effect that this just happens with SLE sometimes and not to be concerned.
I take this to mean that it falls into the category of periferal neuropathy: "learn to live with it!"
The longer I go along the more things I find in this category.
Good luck!
Douglas+

PS.: I suspect much that passes for Lupus-induced "brain fog" is not the wolves eating the grey matter but is related to stress and much like what "normal" people experience. "Much" but not all.

·
Registered
553 Posts
Um brain fog, this has been one of the most frustrating things about lupus for me. I always had a great memory, I was a walking telephone directory now a days I'm lucky if I get to my car without turning round to check whether I have locked the door cos I cant remember if I have locked it or not. I have got in my cars then suddenly thought darn I haven't taken my meds. Sometimes I can laugh it off, sometimes I can't.

I can be stood talking to someone and cannot even think of their name even if I have known them for years. I forget lots of things even if someone has just told me. The one thing that naffs me off even more is when I get half way through a sentence and stop dead, and then someone tries to finish the sentence for me, it just makes me worse don't know if anyone else finds that! I have literally stamped my feet and walked away in frustration because I cannot finish my sentence!.....

I have also done really silly things like filling the kettle with milk instead of water (could have been interesting if I hadn't realised before I put it on to boil :lol:), put the tea bags in the fridge.

The trials and tribulations of Lupus!!!

Claire xx

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Brain fog for me is not remembering a conversation I just had. Not from lack of interest but I just can't recall it. I also have trouble focasing to do things. I can be talking and know what I want to say but often can't find the right words. Remember that things are a little different for everyone but this is what it is like for me. I also often have problems recalling things or how to do them even though I have done them for the past almost 10 years. I hope you are doing well and feeling well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Going ypstairs 7 times and still not remembering what you went for
Trying to remember if you took meds
forgetting where you parked
stopping mid conversation because you cant remember a word
getting your childrens names mixed up
forgetting telephone numbers and addresses you've known for years
forgetting to lock doors, close windows, lock cars
oh and my favourite - getting to the car to find i've left the keys in a shop!
Gotta laugh! xx

1 - 11 of 11 Posts