TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my brother,who had an extremely low platelet count, after a week with no treatment, had to go back to hospital becouse it was so low again
this time they found anti platelet antibodies positive and since i have lupus said it could be idiopatic purpora or lupus too.
the first ana test was slightly positive but the second time it was negative.
no ena
no anti dna
no symptoms
do you think lupus is still an option if ana turned out to be negative the second time? And even if they were positive, with no ena or anti dna ?
what do you think?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Dear Enrico, I am no expert so I won't try to advise you. Just wanted to pass my Regards to you and your Brother.
We are here for you.
x Lola

·
Registered
594 Posts
Dear Enrico,
i am so sorry to hear about your brother.
Don't know much really except that if you have lupus it increases the chances of a sibling or child having it, and after how ill your brother has been, if it was me i would be pushing docs to check out this as a possiblility.

Hope he gets better soon

Cassie

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Enrico,

I'm sorry your brother is unwell, and hope tthe treatment helps him.

It mat take a while to work out what the cause is, especially if it is early days with few symptoms or blood abnormalities. Still there is definately something wrong, and a very low platelet count will at least hold the doctors attention while they work it out.

My rheumatologist says that it is fascinating the way different variations of the same or simmilar disease express themselves in families. One person may have very obvious lupus (face rash and nephritis for example, and a sibling just has joint pain, and the aunt RA...) So there is a definite family trait, but the expression of the illness can be quite different. Also the labels for the diseases don't always fit the person exactly. One day we may have genetic tests that can tell exactly what we have, and maybe a load of new diseases will be named. On the other hand, once it is confirmed that there is an autoimmune proccess going on the treatments are all simmilar whatever the name, so the label is less inportant than the right treatment.

X C X

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Enrico, Lupus is not diagnosed by blood tests alone. It takes into consideration your symptomsnow, and in the past, your health history, your family history, and very important , what the Rheumatologist sees and observes at the appointment when he is watching you, the color and looks of your skin, your nails, your eyes, and much more. Please keep us posted about him, and bless him, I hope he feels better soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts