The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I just got a call from my rheumy's office with the results of my recent cervical spine MRI.

I had a CT of my neck done 10 months ago. It showed mild degenerative changes which the rheumy attributed to the lupus. The MRI showed widespread degenerative disk disease. It also showed four of my disks are bulging a bit (C5, C6, C7, T1). The nurse said "hopefully the swelling will go down and you'll feel better." I've had worsening neck pain for 10 months, and hoping for the best doesn't sound like a good approach to me.

Have any of you had experience with bulging disks? How was it treated?

Thanks!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Hi Terri,
I have two bulging cervical discs,can be very painful as I am sure you are aware.Best thing to do is find a really good physio who can give you some exercises to help.Antiinflammatories when it's really bad,if you can take them.Resting as much as you can when it's painful.Exercises helped me alot at first,but now I find my neck is very unstable and if I turn in an odd way it can cause more bulging.I saw a consultant who said that if it is really bad I can have painkillers etc injected or my neck fused(don't fancy that myself!I have known of people who have had that done and have had no further problems)my physio also said that traction is an option.The exercises I do seem to keep it under control most of the time,I just have to remember to do them!good luck,hope you get it sorted,
Julsie

·
Registered
995 Posts
for me the best was physcial therapy and exercise, I find the pool the best, but it must be done with the doctor and/or the pt to teach you the correct way of doing the exercise or you can make it worse
I have been living with the conditions for four years now. I do get flare ups if I am not careful and over do or lift incorrectly ,
and knowing when to rest vs exercise. it is a learning experience like lupus
education is the best way to stabllise the condition
good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts