The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have a question about facial redness. What is the difference between the butterfly rash and rosacea? Is there a way to tell them apart? I know the butterfly rash does not go in the crease of the nose but is there anything else that separates them?

Does the butterfly rash have symptoms that rosacea doesn't? And also does rosacea have symptoms that differ from the butterfly rash?

I hope this isn't a dumb question and maybe others out there are trying to figure this out as well. I hope a skin biopsy isn't the only answer!:eek:

Thank you in advance for any information you have.
Janice

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi Janice,

It's a bit difficult to tell them apart in some cases, but a true and easily identifiable butterfly rash does spare the nasal folds and doesnt have any little raised bumpy pustule things like a lot of Rosacea cases do.

This article is helpful in explaining the differences and also has pics. Remember both rashes are photosensitive. Rosacea can react easily though with nervousness and even drinking a hot cup of tea or something.

Most Dermatologist can tell the difference if they have good experience with both, trouble is some Dermy's dont.

http://www.healthy-skin-guide.com/rosacea-a-symptom-of-lupus.html

Another pic of Rosacea:

http://www.globalskinatlas.com/imagedetail.cfm?TopLevelid=628&ImageID=1698&did=182

love
Lily

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Janice, The only way to tell, is to go to see a Dermatologist. Skin
is stheir speciality, and it is all that they do, and most do it quite well.
I would deffinately start there. And, yes, rosacea does present different
thann a butterfly rash. I don't believe that if you find a good Dermy, that a skin biopsy would even be needed.

·
Registered
602 Posts
My butterfly rash was terrible, on my eyelids, ears, neck, nose and cheeks. No topical ointment did any good, only prednisone would help get it under control. They did do a biopsy of mine whick helped clinch my dx's.

If you can get one done I say "go for it"! It looks like the websites Lily gave you are very good in their descriptions and pictures. Even I learned something today!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your help. Lily, thanks for the article and pictures. It was very helpful.

I have been asking around for a good dermatologist. I have not found one yet. There was a really good one a few years back in the area but he has since retired and moved. Go figure!! I will continue my search and make an appointment when I find one.

Thanks again,
Janice

1 - 5 of 5 Posts