The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this possibly a butterfly rash?

It's on my face pretty much everyday, but didn't appear until two or three years ago. When I am feeling unwell, it is worse. It doesn't itch or hurt, but my face does feel hot (I often lay in front of a fan)
I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks!
(Obviously you all can not give me a diagnosis, but the doctor keeps dismissing it and I'm unsure whether I should see a dermatologist.)

(Photos taken on different days)
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

·
4,437 Posts
Hiya... I definitely would want referral to a Dermatologist and to be dismissed is not good enough.

It is a possibility,however the Malar rash usually does not include the naso-labial folds (lines nose to mouth) and yours looks as if it may do (?)...however as you say, it is hard to tell from pictures and I really think you have enough going on with your skin and the feeling rough when it is more pronounced to warrant further investigation. Does the weather affect it ? Alcohol or when feeling more stressed?

I hope you can move forward to some answers and glad you found us....Welcome...let us know how you get on and don't let your Dr dismiss you anymore....Claire

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it is hard to see in the pictures, I'm sorry.
It is mainly on my cheeks, hardly any on my nose, and I don't think it includes the mask-Libal folds. (I'm unsure though)

If I'm in the sun it does seem to get worse, and it definitely gets worse if I ever drink alcohol or get stressed.

Thank you for your help! I really appreciate it.

·
4,437 Posts
In that case you definitely need it checked... I had this years before anything else and indeed used to wonder why I flushed so quickly after a small glass of wine...people used to think I had sunburn when I was on holiday when in fact I had factor 30 everywhere and the face was the only hot red place...but it used to come and go a bit..was very odd. Used to put it down to my hormones etc.....time for you to push for answers.............good luck, Claire

·
3,294 Posts
Hi Amandalp, it's good that you have the photos; take them with you to your appointment and keep a record of things that happen at the same time such as changes in weather, activity levels, stress etc.
Best wishes,

·
11,409 Posts
Hi Amandalp and welcome.
I can only add that do not wear make up when you see your doctors.
You can always put it on after the appointment.
Take care,
Lyn

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your help! I just wanted to update this post and say that I was officially diagnosed with lupus by my rheumy.
Thanks again for all your help!

·
4,437 Posts
YAY....well done for being persistent...at least now you can get on with some treatment.....thanks for letting us know how you got on.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hiya
Sorry you have been diagnosed with lupus but glad you found this site. You,ll make many friends here. Hope you have the right treatment soon
Keep safe
Wolf1

1 - 10 of 10 Posts