The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello :) No, not everybody. It's said that about 25%-30% present with a rash although I am not sure if that means the butterfly typical pf SLE or one of the other sorts. About 75% have some lupus related skin problem in the course of their disease.
Try to take photos of yours when they are present as a useful record.

A biopsy can help determine diagnosis even from unaffected skin in the case of SLE.

:)

Clare

·
Registered
1,563 Posts

No not everyone gets the rash like i thought already to.I never had it on my face when i first got diagnosed and the rhueme i was seeing said i had something that is called lesion red ones on my face.I also have now since last summer the rash on my face when i get either stessed out or just comes and goes.I did have the rash on my neck before being diagnosed and it has gotten brighter also but not sure why.

Tammy

·
Registered
201 Posts
I get the butterfly rash with too much sun. It is slighty raised. Havent gotten since starting plaquenil and using sun block on my face everyday. I do however flush easily to the same area of the face and neck. I am not talking hot flash, i see those with my co workers and it is not the same!::mad: :lol:

Lisa

·
Registered
301 Posts
When is a rash not a rash?

Hi

I have "blotchiness" in the malar area periodically and a permanent brownish discolouration like large freckles in the typical butterfly shape. Does this blotchiness/brownish discolouration qualify for a lupus rash? Of course it has always calmed down when I get to see a rheumy. I will make sure I take a photo when it flares again.

Love Judi xx

·
Registered
62 Posts
Here is an example of my "butterfly". It appears almost always in the same location. It is almost always slightly present, sometimes barely noticable, at other times glowing red. It is always aggrivated by the sun.

It is estimated the only 30% of Lupus patients have the classic butterfly rash (about 10% as one of the early symptoms). However 80% of Lupis have some type of skin involvement in the course of the disease. So everything is possible.

Yes it is a good idea to make pictures to take with you to doctors appointments, especially if the rash tends to vanish in the presence of "white coats".:)

Ciao,
Monique

·
Hazel595
713 Posts
thank you Monique
that is the same rash I get except I get it on my chin and on my neck as well....sometimes it is just a "blush" other times a lot redder and when I flare it looks a bit like a babies bottom with nappy rash.

Thank you for sharing your photo with us xxx hazel

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Hazel,

I have it on my neck as well, just hard to see in that picture. Ussually it is on the front of the neck, except for under the chin there is a white V- shaped spot .

Nappy rash! That's good. I guess I could classify mine like that sometimes as well.

I have to laught about "Nappies", my mother's family is orginally from Canada (Quebec) Most of them live now in New England. I live in Germany, so I speak english and german ( although my english suffers because I use german everyday). My Aunt and Uncle (he was in the Air Force) they were stationed at RAF Lakenheath. Thier son was about 10 years old at the time. His name is Napoleon Joeseph Saindon. His nickname was "Nappy". Because in the US it is called a diaper or Pamper this was not a problem. But in England! To this day (he is now 50 something years old) He is known as Uncle Joe.

Grüß,
Monique

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Judi

Lupus can cause darkening of the skin " hyperpigmentation" as you describe, looking like a tan except unevenly distributed.
There can be other reasons for it such as hormonal birth control and some drugs as well as a few other diseases.

I should think it would count as significant if there is no other explanation and perhaps a skin biopsy from somewhere would show SLE but I am not sure of that.

Take all the usual sun avoidance and protection measures

Good Luck

Clare

·
Registered
301 Posts
Thank you Monique and Claire

I suppose it is some sort of hyperpigmentation as it definately looks like merged freckles. I avoid the sun, cream up and wear a hat, but mostly I stay well away from it.

I had a wonderful butterfly and neck "V" when I was in hospital with a major flare. The fluorescent lights over the ten days or so that I was in started my first real rash.

I am under fluorescent lights all day at work and my cheeks and lips burn by the end of the day. I wear UV protecting moisturiser and lip salve to combat it.

Hope everyone is having a good day today.

Love Judi xx

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I cannot speak for everyone, but I have a wonderful butterfly rash that goes across my cheeks and across the bridge of my nose. My 11 yr old daughter also has a butterfly rash and she has been diagnosed with Lupus. My oldest daughter, who is 9 months pregnant and now has a wonderful butterfly rash that goes across her nose as well as cheeks. Her OB/GYN has raised an eyebrow and I do believe, knowing that I have Lupus as well as my youngest daughter.

Good luck,
Nancy

1 - 11 of 11 Posts