The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey fellow lupies :hello: I need to ask you guys if you have ever heard or taken
Quinacrine (Atabrine) I have been researching drugs for SLE that do not affect the retina and doesn't cost 325.00 :eek: My doctor (if any of you read my fuming thread) now wants me to come in because they can't keep calling in meds that may or may not be affordable, Well sorry to be such a pain in your butt doc but I need relief, so I have an appt for Thurs to discuss RX options I have to pay out of pocket because insurance limits me to 1 doc visit per quarter and OH YEaH I was just there April 1st:mad: SOOOOOO I found a compounding pharmacy they researched the drug told me they could make it (its a combination of plaqnial and chloroquin that doesn't affect the retina when combined anyway I called my doctor and BEGGED her to talk to the doctor to call this in and let me try it and avoid a out of pocket doc expense for her to say OH YEAH we should try that!!:rolleyes:
Anyway my mission to you if you choose to accept it, is has anyone heard of this or tried it and if so how did it work for you? I am finding limited amounts of info on the net, but found it in a book from the library by chance and it sounds like a good fit, any info or insight is as always GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!:p :thanx:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Laura,

There have been several threads on this topic, usually under its other name Mepacrine. There are quite a few people here on the boards who take it with very good results.

If you do a search on Mepacrine you will find those threads and I'm sure that those with experience of Mepacrine will be along soon too.

Katharine

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Katherine I will look that up I never saw that name associated with all the searches I did on it and the pharmacists didn't mention it, so I appreciate the information!! Heres fingers crossed:fingers: that my doctor will be accomendating and that if so it will work!!:)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OKAY I feel stupid:hehe: I never thought about doing a search I am learning more and more about this site!!:p Anyway thanks to Katherine I was able to read up on this RX and I am praying that my doctors office calls back with good news about it!!:fingers: :goodvibes: :nervous: We need a praying hands icon for praying!!:)

Anyway if Clare T reads this or Renee(from Texas) I believe I read her posts that she was taking it also with good results I would love to hear more because if they don't cal it in (Positive thoughts only) I will go to doctors office armed with info:writing:

You know if I didn't read it in a older lupus book I would not have known about it so I am glad that I found it and glad to be a part of this board!!:)

If anything please pray a little prayer that they will be acomedating to my requests, thanks everyone!!:)

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Laura

Here is the search link to mentions of Quinacrine which is its name in the USA

http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/search.php?searchid=74255

I don't think it is accurate to describe it as a mix of Plaquenil and chloroquine : these two should not be taken together. I got the impression it is chemically a bit different from either of those two so it can be a very acceptable alternative

The combination has a long standing reputation for general treatment of SLE but it is more often heard of these days for skin lupus. I don't know why, because it might avoid the need for Pred or the disease modifying steroid sparing meds like Methotrexate or Imuran. I used to get mine from Panorama compounding pharmacy who offer a very efficient postal service.

I think it was about $1 a 50mg capsule but I can't swear to that. You might have to pay for it though - our insurance wouldn't pay for it because it doesn't have a manufactuers license number but we didn't argue it with them and I do know that some insurances will pay for it

Well worth trying !

Good Luck :)
Clare

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Clare, I was just given the Rx today so I am waiting for the pharmacy to make it and call me to come get it!!!!!!! i can not wait I am feeling like dog doo doo and I really would love some relief, I am on the metho too now along with the prednisone hopefully I will be able to taper off the prednisone now that I may actually be able to take something specific for the lupus, I did read that its used more for discoid lupus too so I am hoping it will still be effective to treat the SLE lupus I have I don't have discoid praise the Lord although I did have a rash for 2 yrs about 6 yrs ago that no one could explain early signs of lupus in the making, those are just my thoughts!!
Thanks for all your guys help!!! I am ready for bed!!!!!!:asleep: :yawn: I can not shake this fatigue its driving me crazy!!!! Love you all for all your kind words and help!!:love2: :love:

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hi!

I have been taking Quinacrine for the last 5 years or so with wonderful results...and very little side effects - It also is great for fatigue, since it has a mild amphetamine effect.. (did I spell that right?)

There have been alot of extensive posts on the subject, so I'm sure you'll be able to look back and find loads of opinions!

Best of luck with it, and here's to feeling better!
Sharon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts