The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I had my bloodwork done I also had urinalysis. I was at the very, very end of my period and that's why a little blood was found. The rheumy even wondered if it was that. But that's not the questin. This is the question and I don't understand what the labs mean.

First off what does AB mean? Abnormal??

Now this was normal:
Urine Glucose

These were negative:
Urine Bilirubin and Urine Ketones.
yte
Ur Specific Grav? What's that? Range is 1.005-1.030.
Mine was 1.022.

Urine PH range is 5.0-7.5 and mine was 5.0.

Urine protein range is negative and mine showed Trace.

This was normal--UR Urobilinogen.

This was negative--Urine Nitrite.

What does this mean? Urine Occult Bld--range is negative and mine was
AB 4+?

This was negative--Urine Leukocyte.

What is this--Urine Microscopic--it says AB INDICATED

Urine RBC--AB 15-20 and range says 0-2.
Urine WBC--AB 3-5 and range says 0-2.
Urine Bacteria says Few
Epithelial says Squamous 4+

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Postie,

I moved your post so that those that are good with labs will definitely see it. It is very late at night for me but if no-one else has answered by tomorrow I will do my best. I know some about labs.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hi Postie!

All of the results which show as negative or within the normal range (glucose, bilirubin, ketones, specific gravity, pH, urobilinogen, nitrites, leukocytes) are what is expected. There would only be concern if they were not as expected.

Specific gravity is a measure of the density the urine, and can vary each time you give a specimen.

pH measures the acidity of the urine. Yours is on the low end of the scale, but still fine. Many things can affect pH, including medication.

I often have trace protein levels during my period, and this is pretty common for women. Trace amounts, even over the long term, aren't usually a concern to the doctors.

Epithelial cells are cells that are shed from your body. Squamous cells are flat in shape. They would not normally be in your urine, but may have come from the blood that contaminated the specimen.

Bacteria cells are also not usually found unless you have a UTI.

Your doctor may ask you to give another specimen once your period is completely over, just to ensure that the abnormal results were caused by the menstrual fluid.

Hope that helps!

Terri

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi there, I try to tell everyone that we are not dr.'s. Only your dr. knows why he ordered which blood tests, and in what range he wants the test results to be. It is his profession to interpret these. I have known some people try to interpret their blood tests themselves, and at the end, they are so panic-stricken that they are scared stiff. Always have your dr. review your tests with you at your next appt. Be well.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Postie,

I want you to know that it is a good thing learning to understand the blood tests that you have done. The final interpretation is of course up to the doctor to explain. I really wish all doctors would go over the bloodwork with their patients before they are allowed to see the results.

I have no experience with urine test results because mine are always negative or normal. I hope the links I am giving you plus the information from wijafax give you the help you are looking for.

Here is a link to a site that helps explain results. I haven't checked them out for a couple of years so I don't know how complete their information is.
http://www.labtestsonline.org/
Here is one more
http://web2.iadfw.net/uthman/lab_test.html This one just covers standard tests but your questions on urine results will be covered.

Take care,
karen

1 - 5 of 5 Posts