The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

My latest blood work had yeilded yet more abnormal results and I am confused as to what they mean.

If anyone one here could help me to understand them I would be most appreciative.

I do hope your all doing well. Here are the things that came back abnormal.

*Antithrombin Activity.....high at 143
*Anticardiolipin IgM.....high at 52 (Last test was >100 so aspirin must be working)
*Immunoglobulin G, Qn, Serum.......Low
*IgG Subclass 3.....Low 23
*IgG Subclass 4.....Low 100

Any help or insight would just be so helpful.

Thanks so much and I do hope you all have a nice weekend.:wink2:

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Have you thought of looking up each one on the web just as a point to begin. Do you know any friends that are nurses or going to nursing school that could help with what you need to know. Your doctor didn't go over this with you? How odd. This may not be much help but that is all I know right now I am sorry.
onetay

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
sounds like you are being screened for APS. Aspirin will not lower your results, it just decreases the likelihood of clotting through it's antiplatelet action.

Have you talked to your doctor about your results ? That would be my first port of call.

cheers

Raglet

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not have a follow up with the Rheumy for 3 months.

I did try to look things up on Google but ya really need a PhD to figure it out.:(

Frustrating.....to have to wait that long to find out what it all means.

Yes, I am sure it is a screening for APS and he did some screening for Lupus too.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Wow, been a long time since I've posted here. Howdy.

- An average or above average antithrombin activity level is usually ok (you listed in your post a number instead of a percentage, so I have no clue how "off" it is). Possible exceptions could be a vitamin K deficiency or acute hepatitis/cholestasis. There can be other reasons for it to be high, but I don't see any others that likely apply to you (unless you've had a kidney transplant I don't know about, are on coumadin/warfin, etc.).

- Raglet has already addressed your anticaridolipin result well (hi there Raglet, nice to see you). This result can go up and down.

- Low Immunoglobulin G (aka IgG) levels indicate immunodeficiency (probably "selective IgG subclass deficiency" since you didn't mention IgM, IgA, etc. being abnormal). It could evolve into Common Variable Immunodeficiency, which can be associated with some autoimmune diseases and a couple of other things.

- The IgG subclasses are just a breakdown of your total IgG. I couldn't really find any single nice-and-neat indication for both low IgG3 and IgG4 together...so your doctor would really be best to interpret that, especially given that you have a normal IgG2.

- Antiphosphatidylserine antibodies, like anticardiolipin antibodies, may be associated with antiphospholipid syndrome.

Take care, Karol.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks so much Dar for your reply here.

I really appreciate you taking the time to type all of this.

Take care of yourself.:wink2:

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
hi Dar, nice to see you posting

:wavesmile::wavesmile:

raglet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts