TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you that have ben on cyclo...did your periods stop ?

Ladies of course !

I am on my 5th of 6 treatments (yippeee) and i ahve missed my period this month.

They did say this could happen....also they said if it did HRT would be consided...

Thing is with APS i thought this was a no no...

thnaks x

·
Inky
249 Posts
HI Christine,
Can't help with the cyclo sorry.
I am just out of menopause and during the thick of it my rheumy said absolutely no HRT for me (I have positive lupus anticoagulant) and that 'No' was confirmed by the menopause clinic at the MRI in Manchester, they also said no herbal remedies for menopause either. Soya in diet has helped me with some symptoms.
My rheumy's big interest is heart disease and lupus I think.
Sara
x

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Christine,

If you're referring to Cyclophosphamide, then yes, my periods stopped too. I can't remember the exact details about my stint with cyclophosphamide as it had to be stopped - I had developed heamorrhangic cystitis. At first there were increasing amounts of blood in my urine which increased to the point where I was just weeing blood. It was terrible. I had to go for scope, which is where your bladder is pumped full of water and a scope is inserted into your bladder to see what's going on up there - OMG the pain!!!! Anyhow, it turned out that there were ulcers on my bladder caused by the Cyclophosphamide. it was stopped immediately. I dunno but since then my bladder's not been the same:( My rheumy said that it wasn't a common reaction but geez, I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy. Good luck with the meds - I hope it works for you but be sure to moniture your body and the effects as you've been doing.

Take care:)

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Christine

I hope the cytoxan is helping your lupus. Generally HRT is a no-no for people with APS - you will have to see what your doctors think in your case as each case is different. The comment about you maybe taking it might have been a casual off the top of the head unthinking remark.

All the best
Clare

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ladies..Yes Clare i think it was a General remark...i will speak indepth to my rheumy..
Zoe the bladder thing...thats why when i have treatment they insist i drink lots and lots of water they also give me mezna(sp) to protect the bladder. x x

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
yup, cytoxan stopped my periods permanently and put me into premature menopause.

The older you are reproductively, the more likely you are to go into menopause. You'll know if that happens, you'll get lots of symptoms.

I was mid 30s which is no spring chicken reproductively, which increased my chances of premature menopause.

Many rheumies (including Dr Hughes) say that women with APS can go on hrt provided they are fully anticoagulated. I am on warfarin/coumadin, so I am on a small dose of hrt which has been a lifesaver. But, if you are not on warfarin/coumadin then it's generally no to hrt.

hth

raglet

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had two lots of Cyclo but it made me really ill so I refused further infusions. My periods had already stopped (since diagnosis) so I'd have been none the wiser anyhow!

Little worried about Raglets post regarding menopause - no-one mentioned this to me.....

AmandaB

·
Registered
170 Posts
Ive never been on cyclo, but ive been one of those few on Imuran that my periods STOPPED after 2 months of it. I hope you get some answers - and alternatives!

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Amanda, if you had gone into menopause you would know all about it, as cytoxan induced menopause is very sudden and very savage. I had horrific hot flushes, virtually non stop.

If you only had two doses you are probably fine, but if you are concerned you can always get hormone tests done.

doctors usually don't mention this which I think is shocking, especially in people who have not completed their families (fortunately I had).

hth

raglet

1 - 9 of 9 Posts