The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi wise sages:writing:,

What are your experiences with sport/exercise and triggering lupus activity?

Last Friday I had my introduction sesion at the gym. :exercise:Over the weekend I got more and more achey and by Tuesday evening I'd a fever. :temp:Wendesday I broke out in echymosis (a fancy name for spontaneous bruises):bruise:. So flaring.....

Logically the most likely trigger is hormonal changes (I miscarred 6 weeks ago).

Still I'm curious about exercise. Everything I read says it should help and do it. I was carefull and did tell the instructer about my meds and diagnosis....so it should be OK.

It is rather disappointing, because I'd great deams of getting fit and strong and losing that pred fat (40% of my body mass:eek:hno:)

What do you reckon?

X C X

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Cath,

I'm sorry to hear about your miscarriage :(

I don't really know the answer to this. Like you, everyone keeps telling me that exercise is good for you and will help. However, even if not constantly "flaring" I can't really say that my lupus is under control and exercise is still very much a no no for me.

If I do the slightest thing I get muscle aches for days after, sore joints, very painful hands and feet... and then suffer from even more tiredness for about a week (or two) after.

Hopefully, it is just a coincidence for you and you'll be able to reach that goal. I had started at the gym a while back when I was feeling good and by starting very very slowly (I told them to treat me like I was 70 and full of arthritis) I was able to build up a little and enjoy it. That is until the pred reduction of that time hit home and I ended up incapable of doing anything and made myself ill even trying five minutes with no weights on the machines.

Right now, I'm hoping to get back to being able to walk my dog with a semblance of energy. The gym will wait..

Katharine

·
Registered
521 Posts
Hi Cath,

Don't give up your dreams of getting rid of pred fat and being fit. I have the same dream and i have been at this for a while, dieting, exercising etc.

In my opinion, exercise CAN help us a lot if we don't over do it. That is not easy to do. I have tried walking exercises, exercise bike,, treadmill, yoga. These are all low impact and though it may take a little longer to lose that weight it's great for toning the muscles and keeping them ready for your next workout.

Even with this,, I have to be mindful of what my body is saying. If while i'm in a workout and the fatigue is more than its worth, i cut it short. If i don't i will end up in a small flare that will keep me from working out for a week.

I had to work myself up from 15mins of low impact to 1 hour of low inpact. That took about a month. Now i'm at one hour on treadmill and exercise bike, still low impact, with some stretching after, to keep the muscles from getting achey.

Every time my muscles feel achey,, no matter what i'm doing or where i am,, I stop and stretch,, it REALLY HELPS.

So now I exercise everyother day, my goal is to do it daily and one day be able to actually lose weight from doing so. Right now I am just maintaining my weight which is good. That is usually because some fat has turned into muscle.. And since my scale can not tell the difference it registers the same. But eventually, if i continue the way i'm going i will lose weight as i go.

I have seen my daughters grandma go from being morbidly obese to a size smaller than me in just a couple of years. All she does is walk.. not very fast at that. I wish i was like her because she doesn't miss a day of walking on the treadmill. Now she's looking better than me :0 .

So I have learned from that to be consistant in every GOOD thing i do in the challenge to lose weight.

I hope this was helpful..

Take Care

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Cath,

I do know that when I do more physical activity events with the kids I'm exhausted and this generally gives me a mini flare (high temps, painful joints, swollen lymphs, sore throat, headache (perhaps thats just from noise of kids!:lol:), lack of energy and so very tired. If I rest the day after I pick up a bit, If I don't then things get worse!

Really sorry to hear about the misscarriage, I'm sure thats probably knocked your body for six too along with the added exercise!

Take care and hope your feeling better soon,

Love Lesley

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Howdy,
My experience, for what it is worth, is that moderate exercise is a good thing but overdoing it triggers all the Furies si for me (and I speak only for myself) I do exercise but not enough to cripple me.
So sorry about your loss.
All the best.
Douglas+

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi Cath,

I am so sorry to hear about your miscarriage. :hugbetter:

Your question about exercise has been quite a talking point in our house over recent months. Because I was so well last year I took part in a gym challenge at work which lasted 6 weeks. It involved going to the gym everyday to complete a challenge for points. Now I hadn't been to the gym for many many months and I participated in this with gusto - so much so I won the prize for most outstanding female.

The challenge finished in December and I was so proud of myself. On January 4th I took a really bad cold and all my joint and muscle pain returned with avengance. It's only just subsided with starting Cellcept last month.

My family are convinced I overdid it and I argued at the time but I now believe they are right. Exercise DOES help. My rheumatologist advised me to get gentle exercise and that I would feel worse before I felt better. It takes about 8 weeks to see an improvement. Don't think he meant for me to go at it hammer and tongs though. :hehe:

In your case though I would suspect it is more likely down to your hormones and the stress and upset you've had. Maybe you were on the verge of flaring and the gym just triggered it.

Sending you positive hugs and hope you feel better soon. :hug:

Pam xxx

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Hi Cath i have started to go to the gym but every other day and my sister is going with me we have a short walk on the treadmill.For about an hour i know i have lost a bit of weight not much but enough to keep me going.But i have to go tomorrow for my Bursitis injection so i will be of the treadmill next week.Sorry to hear of your misscarage. Elisabeth

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you everybody - food for thought definately, and maybe a hint to listento my own body, not the instructer's advice too much.

My rheumy was great today - I emailed him and he phoned me back then phoned my GP to organise bloods to be taken in my local hospital, which will be phoned to him at home, then I can phone his personal mobile for the results. All this to save me traveling 4 hours to his hospital.

Now, that is good care:blush::blush::blush:

X C X

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Cath,:hug:
So sorry to hear about your miscarriage.:hugbetter:
I want your rheumy he sounds fantastic!

I think your spot on about the hormones,but I also agree moderation and start back slow and listen to your body.

I get hurt when I vacuum too much:lol: I am doing it slow and steady.
I also work on different body parts on different days. Today was my leg day. tomorrow my arms, my belly every 3rd day. You know what I mean.
It may just be 10 min depending on the level of pain. It may take me 10 years to get back to my pre lupus weight, but I am really trying.

Be proud of yourself for getting back into the gym!!!!

Let us know what you find out from your test results!!!

Hugs,
Becca

·
Registered
391 Posts
Cath,

Thanks so much for this post. I've recently wanted to try something, but know being "over active" I pay the toll. I've been doing Tai Chi a couple times a week for 3 yrs (when I'm able), but it still isn't enough. I spoke to my doc about Curves. They have a trial period they are running locally. My doc doubts I can do it 3 times a week for 4 weeks, but gave me the okay to try it. I am seriously thinking about it. The responses are well heeded, if only I can remember them.:rotfl:

I too am sincerely sorry for your recent loss.

Michelle

·
Hazel595
713 Posts
Hello Cath

I am so sorry to hear about your early miscarriage honey....maybe you went to the gym a bit too early. Your hormones must be all over the place,

My experience e with the gym and lupus is that you can flare if you over do it at the gym however if you listen to your body and just do gentle exercise then it is good for you especially in losing the "pred fat".

Well done on at least trying.....the introduction does sound as if it took more out of you than it should. When you first start at any gym the whole idea of the introduction is to see how much you can do and the instructor knowing your health history should be making sure you don't push yourself too hard.

Don't give up though honey........a healthy person arriving at the gym and exercising after a long period of no exercise would also have aches and pains in there muscles.

You also had the ecchymosis come out so it was a good idea to see your GP. When I first started exercising it was after Dr Hughes told me that gentle exercise would help. I was 16½ stone heavy so had tons of weight to lose and every time I went to the gym it hurt and I was so tired. Sometimes after Aqua Mobility I had to rest in the little cubicle for ½ hour before I had the energy to get dry and dressed.

The Treadmill helped because I could walk holding on and stated with 10 minute walks at 3mph........It has taken me 4 years of battling in between flares but I am finally able to go to the gym with all the after pain.

I recently joined Curves gym and find that every other day of ½ hour is enough. Even a very small amount of exercise really does help.......Dr Hughes told me it oxygenates the blood which does help with pain. (I can't remember his exact words).

It took me nearly 2 years to get down to the BMI for my height and after losing nearly 5 stone I feel tons better. I still get the odd blip if I over do it but at least I know to expect it and just take a week off the gym and do some other form of exercise instead.

I hope the explanation of my experience helps please don't give up the dream........you can do it....

xxx hazel

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you everyone for your kind replies and helpful advice.

I know a little more from the blood tests - both ESR and CRP were moderately elevated (34 and 17 respectively I think). We're waiting on complement levels etc to hopefull give a clue as to whether the inflamation is lupus or infection.....

X C X

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.