TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay,strange title,I know,but I'd really like to get some views on beds!
We are looking for a new bed because the mattress we have at the moment was a huge mistake and I am in too much pain when I wake up.
My husband prefers a firmer bed but I just can't sleep on them anymore.I know it's recommended that if you have joint pain to sleep on an orthopaedic bed,but they are soooo! hard.
Tried some matresses today and found one I liked.The man in the shop said that it was usually chosen by elderly ladies with joint pain and arthritis,cheeky ***:) and I just said,'well,that's me!'
Anyway,if anyone can recommend a good,soft matress,which still has a bit of support for husband,I would be pleased to know!sorry for a boring post,in a bit of a dilemma here,
Julsie

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I got the infamous sleep number bed. There are other similar types of beds out there. Essentially it's an air bed with foam tops and each half of the bed can be made as soft or as hard as a person wants. It's ideal for people that want different levels of firmness who still want to share a bed. :) Of course, you can always take separate beds too!

Another option would be to get the bed you want, and then have him get a foam top piece for his half that would make it more firm for him...

I actually change my bed setting depending on how I'm feeling. Sometimes a really soft bed is better and other times a little more firm is better.

Hope you find something that works for both of you.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hi Julsie

I have moved your post to this section because it is about living which affects us all & not especially associated with being newly diagnosed. It is a major problem for many in fact and considering how much time we spend in bed well worth considering.
I am sure you will get many responses.
We solved the basic problem of differing needs many years ago by having two mattresses with a single 6 ft 2 part slatted bedframe, IKEA type as it happens. A further advantage of having two parts is that one could be raised at the head end if desired.
I know there are similar systems from other manufacturers. We have also has two separate divans fixed together

We also have had separate bedding for years partly because he likes it hot haha and I overheat several times a night and need to have very adjustable bedding. Apart from that, my husband was a sausage roll in a previous incarnation. Every time he turns back over he takes the bedclothes with him. So much for togetherness.This wretched habit was conducive to nothing except homicide.
My daughter has back problems from time to time she swears by her mattress which I think might be called tempur ? the sort that adapts to your body form. I always want to call it tempura but surely it isn't the same as japanese fritters. In the past other people here have found that sort very comfy indeed.
I wonder if having one of those overlays on your side would be a solution if you need to stick to your current bed.
I'll be interested too since we have had our current beds some 15 years and I think we could do with new ones.

Cheers
Clare

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hi, Julsie,

I have an orthpaedic mattress, bought it due to the recommendations - I find that it aggrevates the back pain. My body can,t seem to find a comfortable position to sink into in parts as there is no give! An osteopath I attended thinks medium is better, but I'm still not sure what to change to like you!

Maia, I would love to know where you find the infamous sleep number bed in the UK - it sounds promising!

My parents have the Tempur bed (mum has MS) and they say it is the most comfortable mattress they have had so far.

Feedback from others would be great!

Lesley

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I used to have terrible pain in the bed I shared with my ex - not his fault, not that at least :rotfl: - it was a good mattress, but like you're saying, just too hard.

When I left him I was penniless and only had an old lumpy horsehair mattress inherited from my grandma. That lasted all of three days when I scuttled off to IKEA and got myself the cheapest bed/mattress combination I could afford. It's a medium softness mattress and it suits me just fine, I sink in just enough but it has plenty of give (it's a spring mattress - I found the foam type torture) and plenty of support too. I still have the same bed despite acquiring a new husband to share it with - it's a really small bed (140cm) but we're just fine. Of course, I think the ideal is the big bed 180cm with the two separate mattresses if you're bedroom can talke it :)

When I was in more pain than now, I was also considering some type of overlay to soften the top even more. The idea came from sleeping on my parents sofa when Dad was ill. It was a sofa, not made for sleeping on and should have been agony but I found that the sleeping bag I had was making it all lovely and soft, just that little extra layer of luxury!

Katharine

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Katharine,
that's exactly what we did!went to Ikea and got a cheap mattress,but we got a firm one I think,which must be foam,it just has no give at all.I wake up in the morning and feel like I have to push my shoulders back in their sockets:eek:hdear: Anyway,I think my pain and mood:) would be much improved with a more comfortable bed(so does my husband!).
Maia, I would love to know where I could get a bed like yours too!
Thanks for the replies,
Julsie

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
hi julsie

Interesting thread!funnily enough my husband & I have been talking about a getting a new bed too.
maia your bed sounds great I would be interesed in learning more about that too.
Is the tempur bed made of foam clare ?must google it :)

what about pillows too???I am always buying new pillows hoping to find the perfect one that helps with my neck stiffness!

thanks for posting julsie & good luck to everyone bed hunting :)
take care...karen x

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Just like Karen I always seem to be replacing pillows - never can find goods ones and can't use the feather type.

Lesley

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi julsie, I have recently upgraded my 4ft 6 inchs bed to a whopping 6ft one:lol: I have also bought a memory foam mattress and i have got to say that its the best bed i have ever slept in !
There is so much more room, i dont know why i didnt get a new one sooner and the matress is so comfortable.

I hope this helps, lov Sarah x

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
You can read about the sleep number bed at: www.selectcomfort.com

I went to their website and it appears they do not have a store in the UK. They only have stores in the US and in Canada!

The beds they sell are a bit expensive... but I found it to be worth it. I know there are other brands out there with the same idea though, that are likely cheaper.

The material Clare is referring to is known as Tempurpedic; their website is located at: http://www.tempurpedic.com/

You can also buy foam tops made of this material at most stores these days to make your current bed more comfortable. My sleep number bed has a thick layer of this Tempur material on top of the air mattresses...

I've also used feather bed tops in the past too and found they made beds more comfortable. Lots of options!

·
11,405 Posts
We have a sleep number bed. My DH likes it firmer and I like it softer. We both sleep better now.

Take care,
Lyn

·
Registered
647 Posts
I had terrible hip pain in the night, and had to toss constantly with an expensive "firm, orthopeadic" bed. We ran across a knock off of the tempurpedic bed made by Serta, a large mattress firm in the states. It was about half the price of the brand name "Tempurpedic" memory foam mattress. Not for sure if this brand is available overseas however.

:asleep: I SWEAR by this thing! ! :thumbs: My husband loves it as well. The memory foam changes it's density with heat, so that it conforms to the body, thus there are no pressure points. Aching shoulders, back and neck all do better on this mattress than any other I have tried, but the hips are the big deal. :goodvibes:

I always wanted a job testing mattresses .... :lol:

·
Registered
146 Posts
I have the exact same mattress by serta and it's wonderful, I only wished I would have bought a king size.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
When we were looking for a new mattress the salesman distinguished "comfort" from "support". We got a pillow top mattress and it works for both of us. I could not believe the difference from our old-fashionned "firm" mattress! The soft top gives the comfort I need and the firm coils give the support we both like.
Douglas+

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Hi,
My dd has the tempurpedic and I found it to be too soft. My dh hates our bed and wants a tempurpedic. I had a feather top and it felt very good. I need a firm bed overall. We need a king size to fit our furniture.
I would love to find the right pillow too. I have the darndest time to get it just right every night.

Maia,
Are the sleep number pretty durable and do they have warranties?
I have always been interested, but didn't really think it would deliver what the ad says.

Thanks,
Becca

·
Registered
67 Posts
We have the select comfort/sleep number bed. It is the first mattress that my husband has not been able to kill within six months. We've now had it for two years and love it. His side is around 95-100 and mine roams from 20-50 depending upon my mood or if the dog sits on the controller. I know that I have changed it in my sleep.

We went to this bed because my friend recommended it. Also, the last mattress was giving me bruising from the springs.

Interestingly, I kept falling out of our old bed. I guess the edge was just worn down enough. On the sleep number, there is foam around the edges, so the air parts are not at the very edge. I have not fallen out of this bed (yet).

My parents got one of these beds because we liked ours so much. My father loves keeping his at a nice high 100. My mother kept hers lower. I think it was actually the first mattress she really liked.

One of the first things Jackie bought when she graduated college was the least expensive of the full size models. She keeps it very soft.

audi

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I have a contour cloud topper on top of a very ancient bed, and it is just so comfy I love coming home to it if I have been away on holiday or out o of town for work. They are a bit pricey but absolutely divine.

If you need a softer bed than hubby, you could always just buy a single contour cloud for your side of the bed.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

raglet

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
The Tempur UK site is

http://www.tempur.co.uk/tempurUK/

They offer 60 day free trial when you purchase and it says you may be eligible for VAT relief.
I think I'll see what the Consumer Guide says. The Tempur are very expensive, so no wonder there are so many competing makes to choose from at such a wide variety of prices. No point paying more than you need!

Cheers
Clare

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
There is a 20 year warranty on the Sleep Number bed. The people I know that have them (about 5) have had them for 2-10 years with no problems. I've had no problems and have had the bed for 2 years now...

I agree I love the memory foam beds. I have a thick top covering of memory foam on my bed too... which is the right amount of that stuff
for me.

I'm always a little leery of any warranty though, seems most companies have a way of getting out of them these days! I do not know the details of the warranty on this bed; I would guess it is limited in some ways and I don't know if it is a full replacement warranty or limited by some percentage relative to the age of the bed for example.

·
Registered
580 Posts
i used to sleep in a matress that hurt my entire body, i woke up in the morning and felt like a truck ran me over!!:lol: :lol:

i bought "KINGS DOWN" From sleepys matress store. and its the best thing i did. before you buy the bed they lay you down on this matress to measure your body type for comfort its computerized. me and my husband body type.

to this day i get up in the morning pain free. its the best bed ive purchased.
and i think it will be my last. oh and the pillows and matress pad were free.

its kind of the sleep number bed.:) :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts