TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lawyer has done nothing and then casually says my paperwork was screwed up and so there is no hearing date. I swore she told me my date was June 4th. My hubby asked me if we can fire her since she has not helped us..Shouldn't she have made sure my paperwork did not get screwed up? I told hubby probably not without some major financial compensation. I am not quite sure what her duties are. Our deal was no$$ until I get my$$. Do you think she is trying to increase the backpay?? I am so confused:hehe: and upset:yell: and then hubby breathing down my neck for all the answers, that I am feeling so sad and incompetent:worried: Help!!! Please!!!! and Thank You so much for everything.

Love,
Becca

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Becca,

You should not have to pay one dime until you get your award money.

I do not know for sure but it seems to me that you can fire and re hire a lawyer anytime you want without the cost of money out of your pocket.

Disability doctors do NOT get paid until you win.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi

I did fire my SSD lawyer. It was in the very initial stages of the application. My mind was so confused that I could not fill out the initial paper work properly. The lawyer I hired said no problem...He would do it. I gave him all the info I thought they were asking for (work history etc).I was so baffled by the whole system that he had me sign blank paper work and he was to fill it out after our inital interview. He was suppose to forward me the application filled out by him prior to submission. After he ducked my calls for a month I received the application that he sent on to SSD...with out me seeing it.

Everything was wrong. He even wrote that I did not speak English. English is the only thing I speak.

When I told him he was fired it was after a very heated discussion. He may have released me as a client because of all the mistakes he made.

I would contact another SSD attorney to find out what the scoop is.

I would also ask your hubby to get involved.

Best of luck

Elaine

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Karol,
Thanks for your input-it is really confusing. I now realize she won't get acent until I get a cent(if we stay with her):worried:

Elaine,
Your situation sounds like mine does. What are they responsiblke to do???? Did I leave too much for her to do? We just acquired her after my 2 denials and it was 1 yr ago that she was brought in. We know not a darn thing. My hubby is doing the calling now because I can't take the stress of this whole situation. :sad:
Any other tips you have I would love to hear them.

Becca:)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Hi,

I hired my lawyer at the very beginning...not very smart on my part. I have learned that most lawyers will not take you on until the 2nd denial.

I do know that the hearing process varies by state (for some it is years). I really don't know what to tell you to do accept for the fact that I would not go infront of a judge with out an attorney (just my opion). You can call other lawers around and find out if you can void the contract. I would have all the specifics of why you want to termate this lawyer.

Do you want to hire a new lawyer? If so do your homework about the lawyer. I would only talk to that particular lawyer about dumping your current one. I would have all the reasons why infront of you.

Lawyers.......believe it or not lawyers really don't make much money on SSD clames. It amounts to 25 percent or max's somewhere in the 5,000 range (which is peanuts for a lawyer).

Sorry that I am not much help.

Elaine

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I just talked to my Allsup agent again as they are filing the papers for the hearing stage (after 2 denials) and she said they do cases all over the country and the wait time for a hearing is generally between 6 and 36 months depending on where you live.

As to firing your lawyer, it's easy to do if you have been paying for services all along. But in a case like this it might not be so easy, and there may be consequences for you in terms of paying her off. I'm sure you signed some paperwork when you hired her... you'll have to really take some time to look that over and see what you signed... it probably outlines what happens if you do "fire" her.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank You Maia- It has been over a year since 2nd denial and they don't have a date yet. I live in So. Cal. so it must be busy. I need to talk to her to her and see all what is going on.

I wish you better service, but sorry for that 2nd denial:(

HUgs,
Becca

·
Registered
3 Posts
dudley;511397 said:
Hi,

Lawyers.......believe it or not lawyers really don't make much money on SSD clames. It amounts to 25 percent or max's somewhere in the 5,000 range (which is peanuts for a lawyer).

Sorry that I am not much help.

Elaine
I know this is months old but I wanted to say something about the lawyers fees, if you consider what time they put on each case it's big money they make. For instance my will get $5,300 if I win my hearing, and all he has done is make some phone calls, and will drive me to the hearing, so if I get approved at the hearing he won't have even put in an hour's worth of work, 5,000 an hour is pretty darn good. That is why there are so many SSD lawyers. I had to go and get my medical files, sign a new release form, then pay the almost $300 for my files, so for most lawyers it is good money. Oh I know they are important for the gearing and know what to ask so I'm not diminishing their value, but they get paid well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Im not sure about firing a laywer after you sign a contract with them, but I would assume if your not happy you can just about do anything you want.

I was just awarded Social Security in May. It took me two years........mostly just procedure. I was initially denied. I chose not to hire a laywer and handled it all myself. It is my opinion that I felt better able to explain my health and suffering better than a lawyer could. Why should some lawyer capitialize off my pain and suffering. Everytime you go to the dr. ask them for a copy of their dictation. The receptionist will mail it to you. Get copies of all you tests. You don;t need a lawyer to do this for you. The application is self explanatory. Why do you need to tell a lawyer how you feel when you can explain it to a law judge better. How the **** do they know how you feel.

Well, it certainly paid off. The administrative law judge was suprised to see me with no representation and told me he could postpone the hearing until I got one. He was very suprised when I told him I would be representing myself. His attitude was pretty lousy at first (he sees a hundred cases a day) probably thinking "just another loser who doesn't want to work."

The hearing ended after about 15 minutes and he told me twice that I did a wonderful job representing myself. By the time I was finished I practically reduced him to tears. He was fully understanding of my situation and awarded me a fully favorable outcome.

The whole Social Security process is meant to intimidate you. Don't be intimidated, no need to be. Fight for what you deserve. Mostly everyone gets denied. Basically, the process wants you to get frustrated and go back to work because you cant live without money. Believe me it was getting really difficult toward the end, but I held out. I just knew I simply couldn't work anymore. You need strong medical evidence and will get approved in 2 yrs. Good luck to you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts