TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm almost 36 weeks pregnant and suffering extreme abdominal pain. I was daignosed with lupus somewhere around 3 months pregnant.
Dr.s dont seem to have a clue what is causing this, get a different diagnosis every visit, but its getting worse and worse. At this point it has nearly caused me to faint after lifting my 3 year old - I must have looked bad as shop attendendent asked if i needed him to ring an ambulance, and just seems to be increasing.
It was originally daignosed as pressure from babies head, which had to change when baby changed position to head down about 5 weeks ago, then it became bleeding ulcers, torn muscles, now back to either ulcers or slight tear in placenta, or else they really dont know what, was advised to admit to hospital and start injectable pain meds and see if it gets better or basically stay in hospital doped out of my head until ready to give birth ( which they have assured me, i can also do with plenty of medication) I refused, I have serious doubts about so much pain meds while pregnant, would prefer to find the cause of problem, and and phobic of hospital anyway. I'm booked for home birth, which the hospital is not happy with anyway, in fact i was told flat out if i refuse to even stay in hospital for birth, they cant help me.
I was wondering because lupus causes so many other symptoms that seem totally unrelated, if it could possibly be some funny lupus symptom the joint problems have flared up at same time it seems, along with some fevers.
Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hello Broxi,

I hate to say this but any severe pain should be treated seriously!! Especially abdominal pain and ESPECIALLY during pregnancy!!!!

Lupus can cause many things but also we tend to dsimiss things thinking it is "just" lupus. We should never do that. Firstly, even if it is "just" lupus things can sometimes be done about any severe symptoms we have and secondly we can miss things which could be totally unrelated and totally treatable.

In general any lupus pregnancy will be considered higher risk than another pregnancy and you need very good medical supervision. If you have APS, even more so. I'm not at all sure from your post that you are getting that. It sounds rather hit and miss. I'm not sure from your post why your lupus was discovered during pregnancy and am wondering if it wasn't APS (lupus anti-coagulant on bloods). APS is not actually the same disease though many of us have it alongside lupus. The blood test (lupus anti-coagulant) is badly named as it is not a lupus blood test at all.

Please don't take this lightly, you should certainly not ignore that pain.

Sorry to be such a misery guts but none of us can really answer your question and any severe pain is in no way "normal" at any time!!

Katharine

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi broxie,

I think the only sensible suggestion is to follow your doctors advice in this situation. You are still on Clexane injections for your anti-cardiolipin antibodies as I understand from your previous posts? If that's the case then this could be anything and if it was me I would be opting for close medical supervision. You don't want to risk your own life or that of your babies.

love
Lily

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I would also be going with medical supervision and possibly an early induction in your case. Being in that kind of pain is also probably not good for you baby given the body produces a lot of chemicals itself in response to pain, and even emotional stress during pregnancy has been associated with troubles later on for children from recent reports.

There is no way we can identify what might be causing that tummy pain unfortunately, especially not if your doctors can't either. It sounds as if your pain is much higher up that the pubic pain that can come from those bones "relaxing" as the pregnancy progresses. My other thought would be gallbladder problem as that does often happen while pregnant - if it tends to be located on the upper right side the gallstones are more likely.

Good luck to you - & I hope everything goes well for you these last 4 weeks or less of your pregnancy. A homebirth while on bloodthinners with lupus is rather risky - and I completely understand the desire for a homebirth.... I hope you will reconsider the homebirth decision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, yes I'm still on clexane. The lupus was not daignosed by lupus antibodies, but after I was finally sent to rheumatologist after they found something called rheumatoid factor was off the chart. I had basically been begiing for help with with joint pain but it had been daignosed as pregnancy hormones for 3 years ( the dr said hormones stay in body for years after birth). Rheumatologist said it was lupus though not rheumatoid arthritis as we expected due to a combination of symptoms i had been seen for over the past few years + anticardiolipin antibodies.

I'm not terribly confident in the dr.s at local hospital, my son was misadiagnosed as a missed misscarriage 2x there and d&c advised, and i know of other similar cases. I'm not really being offered medical supervision, just to stay there out of the way on a heavey course of pethidine until they are ready to induce. I also dont induce well it took 5 days last time, and 1st almost died as result of induction, so I'm not keen to risk it again. I have no confidence whatsoever in drs supervision if i did spend the next few weeks there, and i have a 3 year old i would not want to be seperated from for so long.
Thankfully, although the dr has been very unhelpful, the midwives are very nice and had already written their concerns about placental abrubtion on my charts, and called today to arrange a scan for thisnext week. It cant be gallbladder as its the wrong side. Hopefully will find something out next week, but was kind of hoping i could put this off to lupus and not worry about it.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi broxi,

I can understand your reluctance to be treated at that hospital then :(

I'm glad the midwives are being so good with you, at least that's something.
Good luck with the scan and let us know how you get along.

love
Lily

1 - 6 of 6 Posts