TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

Just curious if anyone knows if Pred can hide problems with the Thyroid? I have never had issues with my thyroid before, but when I went from 20mg to 10mg Pred I started to get a sort of pain in the sides of my neck close to the windpipe and a feeling of "fullness" in the area even though it does not appear swollen, nor does it hurt to squeeze it.

Two months ago my old Rhemy sent me for a thyroid workup due to a high calcium reading on a lab but my Free T4 was 1.61 (barely above normal of 1.60). He was thinking I had Hypercalcimea but calcium levels taken with this set of labs were completely normal. My Thyroid Stim Hormone was 3.11 - right in the middle of normal so my PCP said "nope, no problems" and sent me on my way (this was before I started feeling the weird neck thing).

A month later my Rhemy didnt believe my PCP so he sent me for more labs. TSH was 1.26 so lower, but still in normal range. I was on 40mg of pred at this time.

New Rhemy did labs 3/24 when I was still on 30MG Pred and my C3 was 108 (normal) and C4 was 51 (normal is 16 - 47 so it was high). Normally with Lupus this is low so it being high is a mystery.

Anyway, now, I am feeling some of the symptoms of Hasimotos's - Pain in neck, fatigue (could be pred weaning), dry eyes, I am cold when I used to be very hot (house is at 75 and I am cold... normally I would love to keep the house colder to be comfortable), hair is dry (could also be the Pred/Lupus) and muscle weakness in my thighs (could also be the Pred).

So the question I have is - could being on the Pred have hidden the Hashimotos and now that I am on 2.5mg every other day should I get the thyroid rechecked? I seem to be "post flare" and almost off the Pred so I really shouldnt be having the fatigue I am feeling right now, so with the painful neck and the fact that Hashimoto's seems to go hand in hand with autoimmune disorders, I am wondering if the lab tests are inaccurate. Also wondering if I should wait till I am off the Pred completely in a week before donating more blood for tests. And for those who have Hashimoto's, is there a natural suppliment you recommend vs. "YAP" (Yet Another Pill from my doctor).

Thanks,

dave

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Dave,
I would talk to the doctor about the question with the preds and the other problems you are having. I would also ask that the test be redone when the preds is out of your system. I wish you the best and hope that you feel better soon.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts