The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if I have posted this in the right section or not

my mother in law has been admitted to hospital and finally been dx with Encephalitis. What I would like to know is this disease contagious or not as not only me with Lupus but my sister in law is a transplant patient.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there,

I'm sorry I don't know much about this but I think the answer depends on the origin of the encephalitis as the encephalitis itself is not contagious but the thing that led to it may well be.

Do you know what led to the encephalitis?

Katharine

·
4,446 Posts
Hiya.. as Katharine says it would depend on what the causative factor of the encephalitis is... viral, bacterial and from where? The best people to inform you of infectiousness is the hospital that are treating her... do ask them and get some advice from those in the know... all the best.
Claire X

·
Premium Member
7,567 Posts
Hi, claire and Katherine are right, it does depend on what type of encephalitis. Best to get advice.

Hope she improves soon.

Deb

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Dear Birdie

I hope your MIL makes a speedy & full recovery. I imagine that if there was a contagion or infection risk to anybody who has contact with her or is in her vicinity, she would be in isolation. I myself wouldn't take any risks until I had more info from the medics I keep in contact with cards, by phone or whatever is permitted until I knew for certain.

All the best for you all.

Love
Clare

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I hope your MIL has a quick recovery from this illness.

Has the hospital staff informed the visitors that this may be contagious? Do they have signs posted outside the room asking visitors to cover up with gowns, masks, etc...before entering? All of this should be in place if in fact this is contagious.

I would speak to the hospital doctors and nurses that are caring for her and make certain this is not something that can be spread before you go anywhere near her room.

If your not certain then you and anyone else should make phone calls and stay away. Let us know how you get on with your MIL and best of luck to her.:wink2:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.