The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

I am back to pick your brains.............all of the smart and supportive folks here.

Please, if you can, describe what happens to YOUR skin if your in the sun.

Not the exhaustion that comes from being in the sun or other things that may flare.................more interested in a description of the skin itself and what happens.

Thanks again to all of you. Your a great group of people and very caring and supportive.:wink2::wink2::wink2:

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Karol

You might be interested in the sticky post on Symptoms Section which has links to articles and image sites for the various sorts of lupus skin.

http://www.thelupussite.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=48962

There are three different specific groups and the "Malar" type rash that is associated with SLE has many variations ranging from a healthy looking blush to an unsightly and uncomfortable very inflammed state. It might even present as painful blisters like sunburn.
Descriptions are of limited use especially when taken from what has to be a limited group of people.

Even looking at images might not help all that much as lupus rashes resemble other skin conditions and images are two dimensional
Even an expert dermatologist might not be able to tell for sure just by looking - biopsy might be needed to confirm.

Best wishes
Clare

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hi there,

I get lots of different sun rashes, but the one that bothers me the most is:-

extra redness and tight feeling along with prickly sensation - this effects cheeks, nose, forehead, and hands (especially noticable in hands)

also the

butterfly rash, neck, chin, head, and v-line get much more noticable

have also had a raspberry coloured rash that appeared on legs - sunny that day but rash occurred under jeans - rest of body had no sun-rash

not sure if any of this info helps - i'm sure everyone is effected in different ways

Love Lesley

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi there Karol

If I was out in the sun for a while without sun block on, the rash I get on my neck and chest is like a cross between a blister type thing and hives. Its sort of under the skin and blotchy and uneven. It stings like the dickens and itches as well with some parts dark red and others lighter. Its quite angry looking.

My face mostly just gets a pinkish hue but I have never had much trouble with a facial rash, touch wood ;) My rashes were always concentrated on the sides of my neck, chest area and arms. Mind you, I was never much of a sun worshipper and I never did the 'sun bathing' thing. I always covered my legs up as even a small exposure to the sun resulted in a rash.

This is mostly from memory as I havent suffered from bad rashes for a couple of years because I never go out with slapping on lots of factor 50 sun block and covering up. However even now if I am out in the sun (with factor 50) for any length of time I still get a pink blush on the V area of my chest and sides of my neck. This just feels hot but not usually raised. Its there all the time during the summer months.

The rash I used to get on my arms was a bit different. It looks more like what you would imagine measles to look like. Quite defined red raised dots - not as blotchy as my neck and chest. It also stings and itches.

I really dont go out in the sun without long sleeves and trousers nowadays. The only part of me that is exposed is my face and neck and hands. I have noticed that my hands are very itchy this year though so I think I need to pay more attention to sun-blocking them ;)

Take care
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Karol, I get ill almost immediately in the sun so don't have much time to develop rashes but I do notice my forehead becomes terribly tight and itchy. Enough to make me want to pull it off.
x Lola

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can not locate the sticky on skin stuff that Clare recommends.

Can anyone help this stupid Irish girl out???:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Sorry Karol I put the wrong section :blush:

The 'malar' type associated with SLE is called acute cutaneous ACLE.

:)
Clare

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi there

I developed a discoid rash in Jan 08, it looks like I sat out too long in the sun and burned my face. It was real bad at first, now is just a pink butterfly over my nose and cheeks. I have been lucky not to have it become anymore than bright red at times. Some times though it feels like my face is on fire. When I first got it it was itchy but now it really doesn't itch much.
I don't feel like it gets too much worse in the sun, but I stay out of the sun anyway because I start hurting all over and I feel extremely fatigued for days when I do.

I am new on this forum but I am learning so much from reading all the replies to everyone. I am so glad I found this place, I hope you get all the information you need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts