The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been advised by my employer (Federal Government) to apply for medical retirement. I was just cut-off after 2 years of short term disability. But now I am sick again. I was also advised that my lung is permanently damaged from the blood clots and chest tube I had 2 years ago. I could have chronic pain forever. I have been on hydromorphone contin for over 2 years now. I am back on fentenyl patch now. I have 3 chronic illnesses (Lupus, blood clots (APS) and diabetes), my doctor said it is the Lupus that would most likely make me qualify for CPP disability. My insurance company would then top up my payments to 70% of my salary.

Does anyone have any experience filing for CPP and medical retirement? I want to be sure I don't inadvertently exclude myself, if should qualify.

Thanks.

Nutty

·
Registered
995 Posts
The most important part for me was to be very honest. to describe what you can't do instead of just dx
they want to know what causes problems. Can you care for yourself , can you lead a normal life. do you need help with the basics

the web site of the Canadian Arthritis society was a great help to me
under the disability section

it is important for your doctors to give information on why you can't work. instead of just the dx also, what causes pain.what causes cognative problems. etc
I found a personal letter plus the application helped
it is a tiring process,that I found very hard to deal with
good luck

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Sorry, Nutty, that I can't help as I had to refuse the proffered "help" from my employer so a different situation. There are umpteen little hooks in it all (can you have part-time work? can you do certain hobbies? can you ever escape the paperwork?:)
I do wish you all the best and can tell you this: as long as you can have a roof and food it is better not to have a job if you have anything like my SLE.
All the very best to you.
Douglas+

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the tips Douglas.

Sorry to hear you had such a hard time with it and that your Lupus is so bad. I hope you find some peace/relief from it all.

I'm not looking forward to the process, but I'm told it is the best thing to do in my situation. Time will tell.

Thanks again.

Nutty

1 - 4 of 4 Posts