The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had oral ulcers my entire life, and with the recent lupus diagnosis, have an actual reason for them now. Salt water is not a good idea (mainly 'cause it's too painful), and, although hydrogen peroxide helps some, it usually ends up irritating the lining of your mouth (ie. gums, tongue, cheeks, even hard and soft palate) and makes things worse (Likewise with Tartar Control or Total Care or similar types of toothpaste - just use the plain stuff.). Orajel will provide minor relief, but it seems like you have to re-apply it every ten or fifteen minutes. I've had good success with a product called Kanka, which is 20% benzocaine. It burns some when you put it on, but it does form a bit of a protective layer that makes it last longer than Orajel. By far, the best product I have found is Rincinol, by GUM. (I found it at my local Walgreen's, but it should be available at most better-supplied drugstores.) It helps relieve the pain without stinging or burning (like benzocaine), and actually seems to aid in healing time. Hope this helps.
Alan

·
Determined radiographer
36 Posts
I feel your pain, I have 10 in my mouth at the moment, and they are coming hard and fast constantly.
I have been given adcortyl orabase which is a steroid, and coats the ulcer. I don't find it too much help, other than to give a coating to the ulcer for long enough to eat, it certainly hasn't made them heal any quicker. Im on week three with this batch, had bloods drawn etc etc, all the usual and basically the rheumy thinks it is just part of a flare up of the lupus.
My friend has suggested using crushed garlic on them, apparently it stings like crazy but makes them smaller. Not convinced, but maybe worth a try.
The toothpaste comment is interesting actually, I use whitening so that is obviously not helping!
If anyone else has any advice on ulcers I would love to hear it cos mine are driving me mad right now.
Hope yours go soon and you get some relief;)

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
In the Chat Room Clare mentioned doing a advanced search on "Magic Mouthwash".

It is prescription and seems to work well from what I read.

Sorry your dealing with these, they can be very painful.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Howdy,
Sorry about you mouth problems but ulcers are better than saying the wrong thing:lol: - maybe.
Decades ago I used "essence of caroid". Tried to buy it a while back and the pharmacist assured me that it hadn't existed since the nineteenth century; I am not quite that old.
More recently somebody's Sore Mouth Medicine (Fletcher's?) has worked more or less.
Good luck!
Douglas+

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have been perscribed something that my doc called "Green Goddess", it is not available at every drug store as it has to be prepared a special way. It numbs the whole mouth and although you can swollow it, it will upset your tummy.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi, yes I've heard of it, it is an old fashioned remedy for thrush.

love
Lily

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.