TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I went to the dr last fri as I felt horrendous and had a high temperature and sle was exacebated to say the least. He told me to increase pred upto 15mg (again) and advise on any other symptoms. I have no energy at all and want to sleep alot which I put down to the sle and other probs I have.

To cut a long story short I went to the dr again on Tues night and she found glucose in my urine and thinks I probably have steroid induced diabetes now or a problem with my kidneys :(

I had a blood fasting glucose test yesterday and the results wont be available til next week. I did email my endocronologist on tues night and he emailed me back in 10 mins (! he's such a fab consultant!) and said that even if this blood test is negative, which it could be I must have another random glucose blood test late afternoon as many steroid induced diabetic people dont register til the afternoon.

I know that everyone here has had such a bad journey with their sle and I have spent SO much time in and out of hospital with many things. I had a heart procedure last summer which tipped off postural hypotension and my postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (pots) (its autonomic neuropathy) and instead of coming off the beta blockers (I have reynaulds) I ended up on 2 further heart drugs as that was the only way they could stop my heart running at 140 bpm just sitting. I hate
the tabs as they make me fat (gone from a 10 to a 16) swollen ankles and the steroids have made me fat too my face is so balooned. I look in mirror and I dont see myself. They offered me another op but im scared something else will go wrong!

I really just dont know how much more I can take; I try to stay positive and happy, taken up my meditation again which helps but i cant believe i may have develloped another chronic condition. When i was on the ward they checked my glucose 2x a day and said i must do when i got home and talked to me gp but she said i couldnt have the glucose kit as there was no reason i would get diabetic (LOL) so i did ask her to note her refusal on my records.

I feel so alone at times and im sorry if this is a long post. It might seem trivial to some poeple but it seems like most of my organs have been affected at some stage.

Fortunately im going to see Dr Cruz on thursdy 1st may as an urgent so i hope he can help me feel better!

Hugs to all

Julia x

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Hi Julia so sorry that you are haveing such a bad time i do hope you feel better soon that is the good thing about the site as you will always get the support that you need right now.I wish you allthe very best wishes to you:there: Elisabeth

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I know its ANOTHER pill and ANOTHER life change but really, if its steroid induced diabetes and your doctor gives you glucophage it probably won't be that bad for awhile. They try to get you to really limit your food intake and if you want to do that - go for it. I just flat out told my doctor I'd do the best I could but I doubt it would be good enough and he put me on glucophage. He's learned that if I tell him I'm not going to do something, i won't because I'm being honest and don't lie.

I've been on glucophage for 5 years just fine. Right now we're looking at whether or not the blood sugar is starting to get uncontrollable but I'll cross the result bridge on that when it happens.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Julia,

I am very sorry to hear that you have had such a rough time of it.:aww: You have been through an awful lot. I do sincerly hope that things turn around, soon for you.

It is hard to cope, when each day brings such pain, and another uncertainty with our health.

I want you to know..I will be thinking of you, and your particular struggle and needs.

Love,
Sandy

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:) Hi, thanks to all who responded and for your good wishes.

My gp rang this morning and said that my fasting glucose was in the normal range so Im so happy :) I havent developed another problem!:hehe:

I asked her why I had glucose in my urine and she said that it is very rare but the kidneys do let glucose into the urine in rare people and as usual, Im one of those people :rolleyes:

Im going to the lupus clinic on 1st May so will be taking this up with them. My endocronologist wants me to have a random blood glucose test as steroid induced diabetes can be ok in the morning but rampant in the afternoon.

Thanks again!

Hugs

Julia x

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
:woohoo: Julia!

What excellent news! Thank goodness you dont have to face another chronic diagnosis. :)

I hope that your random afternoon tests stay as clean as a whistle!

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts