TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All
I have recieved my letter to day telling me what i am having done, seems scarey:eek: has any one had this done ? Thanks for any responses
regards
june:sad:

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
Haven't had that test myself, though I have had lots of ordinary angiograms.

Best of luck with it all, hope you don't have to wait too long so you can get it all over and done with real fast

thinking of you

raglet

·
Administrator
10,165 Posts
Hi June,

My dad had one done and did just fine. On his they went in on his leg. Since he was already having angina and was a stroke patient he was kept overnight as a precaution. Other people that had the test went home that same day. The doctor limited his activities for a week. The only discomfort he experienced was a sore leg at the injection site for a few days.

Good luck with your test. I hope it doesn't show any major problems.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
11,405 Posts
Hi June,
I had that done in Jan. 04.

I had them sedate me, I didn't want to watch. I was in the hospital for chest pains and on the echo they found my ejection fraction was 35%. That afternoon they did the angiography. They went threw my groin. I was sedated so I don't remember anything about it. I had to lay flat on my back for 3 hours if I remember right.

I did all right with it. I just couldn't lift for a few days afterwards. Good luck with your test. Let me know if you have any questions.
Take care,
Lyn

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
keebler;512975 said:
Hi June,
I had that done in Jan. 04.

I had them sedate me, I didn't want to watch. I was in the hospital for chest pains and on the echo they found my ejection fraction was 35%. That afternoon they did the angiography. They went threw my groin. I was sedated so I don't remember anything about it. I had to lay flat on my back for 3 hours if I remember right.

I did all right with it. I just couldn't lift for a few days afterwards. Good luck with your test. Let me know if you have any questions.
Take care,
Lyn

Hi Keebler Thanks for the post, had to go to clinic to day for all the questions ect, i am very worried about it,:worried: and having it on tue 1st july . so just want it over now with good results, will let you know
regards
june

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hello
First let me wish you the very best with the test.
My wife had this done a few years ago. The test went very fast and was not a problem at all. They went in through the groin area.

With her they kept her overnight because she had pneumonia at the time and they wanted to watch her extra close so she did not open the area.

With her test they put her on Valume to keep her calm but awake. They wanted her to be able to shift one way or the other if they needed it.

When the doctor was done they came and got me in the waiting room and took be right in the cath lab with her. He showed me what he found and discussed treatments with me.
He showed me what he would be doing and why and showed me what he would not be doing and explained why he felt it was not needed.

When done she did have to lay flat on her back for three hours with a "sandbag" on the area where they went in to keep presure on it while it closed.
She said this was the worse part for her.
She has trouble staying in one place for ten minutes let alone three hours.

When I say "sandbag" please do not think of the type they use on a construction site. This was alot smaller and was a material to keep in clean and sterile.
It was just a way for them to keep presure on the site without having a nurse set and hold it for three or four hours.
I'm not sure if they always do this or if it was part of the precaustions they took because of pneumonia and the cough she had at the time.

When she went in we were very concerned as well but it turned out very well and was not a problem at all for her.
The test gave the doctors information they could not have got any other way.
With it they were able to tell just how bad her prolapsed valve was and how to treat it. They were also able to tell that she had a heart attack at some point that we had no idea she had and no other test was able to pickup.

When they did the test they recorded it and that recording has been very valuable several times.
It has been e-mailed to other states when she was in the hospital and has been shipped on CD to new doctors.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Howdy June! Try not to worry too much about this. Although no procedure is completly without risks, this one is done routinely and frequently in most hospitals, and the docs are all old pros at it.

You will be sedated. The doctor will thread a cath line through a very small incision in your groin into the large vein there. They will then follow the blood vessels to your heart.

Once there, various contrast dyes and other tests can be conducted while the doctor observes how blood flows in and around your heart. My husband has had two, neither one of which took longer than 30 minutes.

I had a similiar procedure, except they looked at the blood flow in my brain instead of the heart. They are correct that the worst part is the laying still for three hours afterwords to make sure you don't bleed from the incision site.

Myself, I took the opportunity to take a nap, one of my more favorite pastimes these days, and one I don't get to participate in nearly enough! Your doctor should have results for you before you even leave the hospital.x

Compared to having lupus, this one is easy!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thankyou

Thankyou All, This has been very reassuring information, and has put me at great ease. i will up date here afterwards. i wish you all pain free days !! and will include you all in my prayers:)
regards
june

·
Registered
86 Posts
cath

I had a heart cath done june last year, it was a piece of cake, I didnt let them sedate me I watched the whole thing it was so cool to see, and I had a new closure done so I only had to lay still for 2 hours then got to go home it was all clear and was just a little sore for a couple days..Its a good thing to get done to be sure your heart is ok...Good Luck.....Melissa

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello June
I hope all goes well tomorrow and you'll soon be home and feeling OK Just think what a relief it will be to have it over and done with.

My hubby has had it twice without problems He says the prospect is worse than the reality. He stayed in overnight one time because they wanted to make sure the insertion point was properly closed or something like that. He had to take care not to lift things and avoid exertion for about a week afterwards. Maybe he hadn't to drive either but as we didn't have a car it made no difference.
I am one of those who definitely doesn't want to see and not ashamed of it either. I zone out or get zonked out whatever is necessary. I am freaked by watching blood being taken out of me and I didn't want to see my babies being born much to the disgust of the midwives and no way do I want to watch angiographies, whatever. So if you're a bit like me and don't want to see it, that's absolutely OK.

Many hugs
Clare

1 - 10 of 10 Posts