The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all has anybody been on this kind of tablet Carisoprodol 125mg i have been on it since April last year for muscle pain i pulled a muscle in my back and was put on these the doctors at my local gps have asked about another doctor that wasat our practise for a short time he was american and this was a favorite tablet that is used a lot over there my daughter went to get my tablets yesterday at the pharmacy and they had no 125mg but they had them in 350mg i take the 125mg 3times a day so i phoned the doc and told him he said that he would do a prescripion for the 350mg to take twice a day one at night and one in the morning my hubby went mad as that is more than double the dose so i got hubby to cut them in half so can any one on these tablets let me know what dose they are on Thank You elisabeth :)

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Hi Elisabeth!

Have you tried googling, I just did and found a page through Wikapedia that has some interesting information. One point it did make was that Sweden withdrew it use of this drug in 2007 due to people becoming dependant on it!
Other sites are also indicating a dependancy link!

Love Lesley

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Elisabeth,

The brand name here in the USA for Carisoprodol is Soma. It is the muscle relaxer I have been taking for over 3 years now and the one that has been the most sucessful for me. I take the 350mg dose tablet 3 times a day.

Remember dependency is NOT addiction. I take several medications that I am on dependent on including my anti-depressant. The big thing to be aware of is that just like prednisone that we become dependent on, is not to abruptly stop taking the medication. Often times the doctor will have to give you a schedule for weaning off the medication. Some are easy and others like prednisone can take quite a long time.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
310 Posts
Hi

I have taken Soma for about 7 years. I find it to be a mild muscle relaxer, but I don't need it all the time. I just take it when my muscles are cramping or for mild restless leg. I have never become dependent on it. I guess it could happen if taken all the time....I don't know about that.

I take 350mg tablets. I find that shortly after taking Soma, I feel like I am floating about a foot off the ground for about 15 minutes....then I am fine. It does not leave me drowsy so I can drive. That's why it is my choice for muscle relaxer. It is also a pretty good mild pain reliever for me.

Fran.

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Elizabeth

It sounds to me like somebody got their sums wrong. If the daily 375 mgs total was enough why on earth take twice as much. I hope the 350mgs is proving enough but surely the pharmacist can get in a supply of the 125mgs ! It should only take a day or two at most unless you live in the remote Highlands I suppose.
It is an opportunity to see if a little more helps.
There is a huge difference between physical dependancy and psychological addiction and abuse. As Karen says our bodies get used to the drugs we take and stopping taking them suddenly can cause a severe reaction since the body chemistry needs time to adjust. Prednisone has to be very slowly reduced after taking it for any length of time at above certain doses. That can even happen stopping Plaquenil. Although it is very rare I experienced it - not at all funny !
More and more people are being denied pain relief because of misunderstandings about 'dependancy'

Cheers
Clare

·
Registered
468 Posts
My rheumatologist just put me on soma, three tablets a day 350mg. she was actually hoping they would help me sleep, but haven't taken one at bedtime yet so we'll see. Hopefully things will get straightened out soon. Karly

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Carisoprodol/Soma

HI all thank you for your answers on the medication just in formed hubby about the doses that you all are on his answer was what other medication is every body else on could not answer him as i dont know will someone let me know please if you dont mind me asking thank you all from elisabeth

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Elizabeth

Do you mean this sort of drug ? Muscle relaxant and pain killer type ? What are you taking it for?

By the way I have read that this drug isn't prescribed much in the UK: benzodiapazemes are preferred.

A list of all drugs used by us all would not be too much help in this instance as it depends what they are being taken for. Most of us take one or two or three disease modifying medicines such as the anti malarials, most often Plaquenil, or immunosuppressants. Then a very wide variety of drugs might be used to treat particular conditions related to the diseases. People would have to say why they are taking a drug for it to have much meaning and potential use as an option in your case.

It might also be necessary to say what they have already tried in any particular group of drugs, to get a more accurate picture

Did you manage to sort out the dosage business?

:)
Clare

·
elisabethm
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Carisoprodol/Soma

Hi clare the carisoprodol was prescribed for pain in my back i pulled a muscle in my back over a year ago i still get the pain every day it goes into spasims somebody else had a post on it the other day and yes it is an american tablet but there was a doctor over from America i never seen him myself it was one of my own gps that put me on them as a muscle relaxant and a pain killer and no the pharmasis has not got them back in hubby still cuts them in half thank you for your concern elisabeth

1 - 9 of 9 Posts