The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

For those of you who have been diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel, did both your wrists start hurting at the same time?

Both my wrists are bothering me. If I lift files or boxes, or push against something with my palms, I feel it in my wrists. Now, I am not bothered by typing on the keyboard and my fingers feel fine. I am not sure if this is just joint pain or not.

I go to the Rheumy today, but I was just wondering your experiences.

Take care,
Lisa

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Lisa

I have Carpal Tunnel in both wrists but the left one was hurting long before the right one. Carpal Tunnel causes tingling and numbness as well as pain sometimes radiating up your arm. Do you get these sensations as well?

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/carpal-tunnel-syndrome/DS00326/DSECTION=2

It sounds like it might be something in the joints. They can diagnose Carpal Tunnel through a nerve conduction study and electromyogram. Let us know what your rheumy says.

Luv n stuff
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joan,

No, I don't get numbness or tingling. Although sometimes I wake up with numb hands if they are above my heart.

I had a nerve test 2 years ago and I was fine then.

Thanks for the reply.

Take care,
Lisa

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi again Lisa

Classically, people with Carpal Tunnel wake up with numb hands so make sure you mention this at your appointment.

Best of luck!
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Joan,

Thanks, I saw my rheumy and mentioned it and he told me that he isn't too concerned about my wrists. He told me that I most likely strained my wrists after my surgery because I was probably using my arms to lift myself up in and out of chairs and the bed. It was true, I was using my arms to push my body up because my abdomen was too sore. Maybe that is the cause. He said that since it started after surgery and before work, that it would make the most sense. He doesn't believe it is disease related.

Take care,
Lisa

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hi Lisa,

During my last flare, I would wake up with both hands numb up to my elbows. My fingers would go numb while holding the phone, little things like that. It has improved dramaticly since the flare has gone away but I still have times where my fingers will get tingly.

Hope you find out what's going on, mine about drove me nuts:eek:!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hey

The doctor has just told me I have Carpal tunnel too.. I had to start taking my wedding ring off at night because when my hands go numb they feel huge like they are going to explode! (don't know if that is normal?) Also the pins and needles once they wake up is excruciating can't touch anything. Does it get any better??? The doctor wants me to go to the Physio to get some night splints.

One good thing at least I might get my boss to by me a flat screen monitor for my desk so that I can fit my gel support with my keyboard :lol:

Take care

Claire xx

·
Registered
468 Posts
Both my hands started hurting at the same time, they hurt all the time at work and when I woke up, or wrote or basically did anything, I had the surgery to release both of them in 2002, it worked for awhile but occasionally I am still bothered if I do something repetative or something that vibrates my hands.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I get quite confused about carpal tunnel. I was told years ago when I had a really bad repetitive strain injury to both hands that it wasn't carpal tunnel. My symptoms then were pain, muscle contractures, electric shocks down both arms, and buzzing numbness. More recently I have numb thick hands in the mornings. Occasionally this is just confined to the outside edge of my hand (little fingers), which I thought meant it wasn't carpal tunnel (which affects middle fingers more), but was more likely to be ulnar nerve entrapment. I also get a funny ache in my upper arm that is linked to numb buzzing hands at nighttime, which again I thought was more likely to be the ulnar nerve. I do get the buzzing down my middle fingers though which I think is similar to carpal tunnel. Nerve conduction studies done a year ago showed some mild carpal tunnel syndrome in right hand, but I now get it in both hands. As I also have other nerve problems (in legs) I'm not sure how much might be lupus, and how much might be some other neurological problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts