TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Celebrex has been suggested to me as an alternative to the usual NSAID's which I am no longer allowed to have.

What experience's has anyone had with this drug.

I have been told that it contains some sulpha like Septrin! I am allergic to the drug Septrin, ended up with a rash toe to scalp when I was 10.

What is the cause of those peolple who have an allergy to Septrin. Is it the sulpha. I do know that those with SLE can have a reaction to Septrin.

I really do not want to take a drug that will have the same effect as Septrin did all those years ago!

Any help, suggestions would be most gratefull!

Love Lesley

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Lesley,

I'm certainly not an expert, and don't know about Septrin, but I can tell you about my experience taking Celebrex. My gp first prescriped it to me when she suspected I had RA, but hadn't done enough tests yet to get a diagnosis (RA tests were actually neg). It certainly helped with my joint pain more than anything else I had taken to that point, but my gp was very specific that I couldn't take it more than once a day. After doing more research about the drug, I became worried about the potential risks, especially when paired with my family history. Since then, (about 2 years) I take it occasionally when my joint pain gets unbearable, but not at all on a regular basis. Now that I'm seeing a new rheumy, he's putting me on some new meds and hopefully I won't need Celebrex at all anymore. I'm sorry I can't give you more specific answers to your questions, and hope someone here will have the info you're looking for!

Shelly

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I would suggest talking to your pharmacist about the sulfa in Celebrex compared to the sulfa in the Septrin that you had a bad allergic reaction to. There are many different types of sulfa based drugs, and even sulfa/sulfites in foods we eat. The pharmacist will be most likely to help you understand whether you should or shouldn't have a reaction to this drug.

My understanding is it isn't very common, although it is a possibility.

Celebrex only helped me slightly. It did not provide enough improvement for me to take it continually, and now I'm off all NSAID's anyways due to my kidneys. Others of course have had better experiences than me. I hope you are able to try it, and that it helps you!

·
Registered
6 Posts
celebrex and creatinine

hi lesley,

you may have already made your decision about celebrex. for me, I loved taking celebrex-for my joints-BUT-I ended up with high creatinine levels (1.9).

They came down some (1.4-borderline), but not completely after I discontinued celebrex. Now, did the celebrex contribute to the beginning of my kidney/lupus? I also was having mild protein...No one will say...

But, I will tell you that giving up the celebrex was VERY hard. I did not realize how much it was helping my joints.

I did not have any of the allergic concerns you had to consider but I wanted to be sure you were aware of the kidney concerns.

Vickie

1 - 5 of 5 Posts