The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know why Cellcept is supposed to be taken on an empty stomach? I started lumping mine in with the morning group of meds but I take them with breakfast so that the lining of my stomach doesn't erode. Now I'm thinking I'm messing something up. :sad:

·
smile xxx hugs to all xxx
77 Posts
yes there to be taken before food but i take mine before my breakfast and its fine,,

the info you need is on the information sheet in the tablet packet

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
HI,

This article is extremely long and scientific, but it does mention that eating at the same time as taking cellcept can reduce it's absorbtion by up to 40%, so I guess the potential risk is that you don't get as much treatment effectively.

http://www.rocheusa.com/products/cellcept/pi.pdf

What does your doctor suggest?

I think it would be sensible to get his/her opinion on this one, see how real the possibility of "underdose" is.

All the best,

X C X

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I wondered if I was loosing efficiency on the morning dosage (in the afternoon my stomach is usually empty). I may have to try to work out different timing - of course the problem then will be remembering to take it!

I don't remember what the doctor said, I imagine she said empty stomach.

·
=)
31 Posts
heya!!

im on cellcept and when i was 1st put on it, i got told to take it with food! but its only recently that i read something and it says take it on an empty stomach...but when i take it on an empty stomach it makes me feel sick :(

i shall ask at my next appointment :lol:

xx

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi,

Just to add in, Sarah just started Cellcept yesterday low dose so far for 3 days and gradually moving up. It states on the pill container to take on a empty stomach at least 1 hour before breakfast or other meals, or two hours after eating.

I realise this is difficult as Sarah takes a whole bunch of pills before she is off to school. She is going to take her Cellcept right on getting out of bed shower, get dressed etc. which will be about a hour then eat breakfast.

I know a girl at work that has MS that has this same med.
schedule and she takes her pill at home then comes to work and has her breakfast. I guess it just takes some planning, it can be inconvenient.

Sharon

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi,

Like others, I take my Cell Cept, about one hour before eating, and taking my other morning meds. I take the evening dose, about one hour, after taking my evening meds..I watch t.v. and then take it just before turning out the light.

Best Wishes,
Sandy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts