The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sorry if I sound like an advertisement for Lyrica, but I can't believe the difference so far. I slowly worked my way up to three pills a day, the first day of that was Saturday and I woke up Sunday feeling good! Instead of spending the day recovering from the week and preparing for the next (usually by reading and being on the computer all day), I did some laundry and puttered around the house doing things - well, not TONS of things, but some.

So far, I'm still waking up feeling good. Its like I'm sleeping better as well as having a decrease in nerve pain. I didn't think I was having any pain at night while asleep, but maybe I was wrong. I'm really hoping this continues and the side effects don't suddenly jump in.

I don't even feel like I have to quit work anymore. At least not for right now. Which is really good!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Jirel, I'm doing the Happy Dance for you! Relief is grand and you deserve to feel better. Thanks for letting us know. My dr. has promised I can try Lyrica when I'm completely off Neurontin. I'm workin' on it! Again, congratulations! I'm just so happy for you. This is truly good news.
Sunny

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sunny - prepare yourself, the days off the neurotin will be bad. I was only taking Topamax but when I quit it (tapered off) so I could go on Lyrica I was shocked at how bad I felt.

elisabethm - Lyrica is a pill that helps to decrease excessive firing of neurons. (Neurotin does much the same thing.) The excessive firing of neurons can cause that feeling bugs are walking on you when they aren't, stabbing pain at the end of the toes, pins and needles, and it seems some things that interfere with sleep. So while its FOR pain, its not a narcotic.

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
I am surprised you had to completely come off the neurontin before starting the Lyrica. I know another member here who started the Lyrica and slowly lowered the neurontin while increasing the Lyrica. That seemed a far more logical way to do it.

I am glad the Lyrica is helping you. The Neurontin works pretty well for me so I am not making any changes right now.

Take care,
Karen

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
I'm glad you are having success with the Lyrica Jirel :excited:

I personally don't see a lot of sense in getting one of the antileptics out of your system before starting the other. Currently I'm doing two until I get my new one (Neurontin) up to a therapeutic level that suits me. It is then that they will wean me off the other one. It's a good way to see what causes what not to mention not leaving you in pain whilst weaning down on one and titrating up on the newer one.

love
Lily

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, in a good way it was a real eye-opener. I really didn't think the Topamax was doing any thing but making me feel a little better when I got up in the morning - that was what it did when I first start taking it 3 years ago. Guess some things changed and it was hiding the symptoms.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.