The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
hi there

it depends on what you mean of in terms of chemotherapy. Many people here use the disease modifying drugs that when used in higher doses are used for chemotherapy for cancer.

I have tried many of them unsuccessfully (including iv cytoxan) and eventually had rituxan which has been more helpful to me.

But many do really well on smaller oral doses of these disease modifying drugs like imuran, methotrexate, cellcept etc.

hth, and nice to meet you

raglet

·
Hazel595
713 Posts
Hi Shawna

I had low dose IV chemotherapy (Cyclophosphamide) in 2002 once every 2 weeks for 3 months.........this was followed by Azathioprine which didn't work for me that well and in 2003 I had to have another 3 month course of the IV Cyclo which was then followed by Methotrexate.........

It did work for me, however, I still have to take Prednisolone as I have become Steroid dependant and I am up to 20mgs of the Methotrexate per week.

I have been in Lupus remission (drug related only) for the last 2 years and know if I ever had to stop my Methotrexate I would probably start flaring again.

I have not had to have the Cytoxan tablets and seem to be doing quite well with the Plaquenil, Prednisolone, Methotrexate, folic acid and Warfarin.

Have you had any IV chemo or other chemo type meds to help your lupus or are they just thinking about it?

I hope you are well xxx hazel

·
Registered
8,577 Posts
Shawna,

I one of the ones who takes low dose Methotrexate to help control my lupus. This is an oral dose that is significantly lower than what is used in treating cancer. What medications are you currently taking?

Take care,
Karen

·
smile xxx hugs to all xxx
77 Posts
hi
i had Cyclophosphamide for 3months iv every 2weeks with high doese of streiods also.. helped some things but did not work on my kidneys.

i then had rituximab witch i had 2 times over 4weeks.. this did get rid of all my b-cells but still the lupus did not settle and then my kidneys failed i still have to take cellcept (mmf) as this helps with some lupus pains.

but every ones body`s are diffrant so one thing may work for you and not someone else dont be scared about trying these drugs they may really help you .

good luck xx

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi
I am on Methotrexate tablet form, but my dosage needs to be increased because it is not controlling my SLE, also had gastric problems due to the Methotrexate tablet, so am starting it next week by injection. Had everything I need delivered today, so going for some practice lessons next week on how to inject.

Meryl

·
Registered
468 Posts
Methotrexate, me too

:wink2: I take the methatrexate by injection and find it much easier to handle than the pills, I have a lot of stomach problems and nausea, so the shots eliminated that. I was scared at first about the injections, but I find it is easy and painless, which totally suprised me, it is actually a nice change from swallowing more pills, I still do of course but at least one day a week it is not as many as before. Take care, Karla:flowery:

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Very many of us take ' chemo' drugs though we don't call them that because it sounds so off putting and we aren't taking them for cancer. Imuran, methotrexate and Cellcept the most common ones are better referred to as "steroid sparing disease modifying drugs" when used for lupus. 'Chemo' is usually reserved for Cytoxan, cyclophosphamide

:)

Clare

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi,

My Daughter who suffers from lupus that was affecting her brain was on high doses of prednisone and on Cyclophosamide (chemo) I.V. once a month for 7 months. She had her last treatment on Feb 6 2008. Then Rheum is going to put her on Cellcept and Imuran. She has gotten her prednisone down to 25 mg. Her Cyclo. is a lower dose than cancer patients but she reacted strongly to the medication and did loose all her hair. She would only suffer from the nausea and other side affects of the drug for a few days. It has helped her so far, but we will see what it is like now that she is off this drug. We have our fingers crossed

Sharon

·
The vortex of insanity!
154 Posts
I had up to my lifetime limit of cytoxan to no effect, was also on cellcept, methotrexate, and immuran, you know, the whole deal rituxan FINALLY worked. Strangely, I prefer to spend 5 hours every now and then getting rituxan than having to remember nausea-causing pills every night, but they never listen to me :p

·
Registered
400 Posts
i am on methatrexate by injection, it has worked great, with very few side-effects. The worst one is that it makes my skin kinda smell like chemically :worried: which really is a small price to pay! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts