The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was rushed to hospital yesterday with a pushing feeling in the centre of my chest then a sharp stabbing pain in the middle of my chest and under my left breast, I was told by the A&E doctor that I had a blood clot in my lung, she did chest xrays and bloods and tested the oxygen level in my blood, my blood test showed positive, I was given tramadol and an injection to thin my blood, I was admited to a Clinical Decision Ward and told they would book me in for a CT scan, but I was discharged by a Consultant and was asked to vacate my bed asap by the nurse. Just before the consultant came the junior doctor was in the process of booking me in for a CT scan and further injections!! Im glad to be home but am still having pains, my hubby rang the hospital and they said the consultant said it was 'muscular' and i would probably be in pain for a couple of days, it dosent feel muscular, and why did I test positive in my blood test. Has anyone else had this? I am worried as blood clots can be very serious. :lost:

·
Registered
6,152 Posts
Hi Jo

Im sorry you had this experience and I really dont know what your situation is, i.e. why one minute you were told to stay and get further tests and the next minute the consultant discharged you. Did they say why they felt it wasnt a clot? Did they say anything about your blood gas levels? I am presuming that these were okay?

Let me give you my recent experience and see if it helps. I was in A & E several weeks ago with severe chest pains and I had a positive D Dimer test which indicates a clotting event. I wonder was that the test you had? Anyway, initially they thought I had a clot but on balance and having discussed it with the consultant they discharged me. The reason was that my pain was indicative of muscular pain they said and also the D Dimer can sometimes be raised in people with Lupus. My pain did resolve with strong painkillers and extra pred.

I must say it is bad form to be admitted one minute for tests and then discharged the next. It certainly wouldnt inspire confidence and I dont blame you for feeling worried. The only thing I can say is that if you are very worried and the pain gets any worse, head back in again. It really is better to be safe than sorry.

Much love and I hope the pain eases for you
Joan:rose:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
chest pain

Thanks Joan, i assume it was the same blood test, as I have not been dx properly yet so they did not take that into account, both the A&E doctor and the junior did thorough examination listening to different parts of my chest and back, the consultant just did my pulse and listened to my back and chest in 2 places!!

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
jo,
I am sorry you had so much confussion at a time when you need direction. If it were me i would be calling my gp and speaking with his nurse asap!!! You have a right to be worried it is your health. You need to be made comfortable about what is going on with you right now. To me it sounds like the doctors don't agree about what the problem is, that would concern me too. This is my best advise sorry couldn't help a little more.
Hope you feel better soon,
Tammy

·
Registered
62 Posts
I was told by the A&E doctor that I had a blood clot in my lung,
Hi... I hope you are feeling better tonight...
If it were me, I would turn around and go back to the hospital... Couple of reasons why ...To me it doesn't sound like they totally ruled out a clot. No CT, no VQ scan or perfusion scan right ?
Did they ask you if you have pain in your leg, behing knee ? swelling, discoloration ?
Because more times than not, a pulmonary embolism will come up from your leg somewhere..
Perhaps someone will correct me, but I don't think you can't 'hear' a clot by listening to your chest... and personally I would not be comfortable with this work up. Pulmonary embolism (clot in your lung) is nothing to be taken lightly... I have had them, spent time in ICU with one.. they are very dangerous and can be life-threatening...
I'm not trying to scare you... but wanted you to have this information... At the very least, maybe give your doctor a call, even tonight, and speak to an on-call doctor...
Where's KAROL... she just went through this............
Please know I'm writing out of concern.... and pray you feel better soon...

·
Registered
594 Posts
Hi there,
I just read this and had to say that i would definately get a second opinion.
I have had several periods of pleurisy also with elevated d dimer and always have firstly had a chest x ray and then a radio isotope scan in order to rule out a clot.
My consultant told me that it was a possibility and potential clot worsening Thankfully i was all clear and it was just pleurisy due to inflamation.

I would reiterate what has already been said, I am sure that it is not porssible to rule out a blood clot on the lung just by listening in, as i wouldn't have had the tests i have had several times before, and i actually didn't have one!

I would go and let your gp know what has happened and see what he recommends. Also keep an eye on your pain and go back to the hospital if it gets worse. The consultant could have had you come in for the tests if he didn't have a bed for you! :(

Take Care

I really hope you feel better soon :there:

Cassie :)

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi there,

I tend to agree that without a scan you can't be sure. I would BOUNCE myself straight back there.

love
Lily

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there,

I think I would be just as worried as you. I mean, the consultant may be right but we all know that stupid things can happen in hospitals, especially when time is of the essence and targets are trying to be met (moving patients out quickly, not enough beds...), not to mention some consultant egos. It does sound very much as if this was not fully checked out and it is very easy to take a look at someone and say something is muscular!

So, yep, I agree with the others and I'd be straight back in. At the very least call your GP!!

Katharine

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Chest pain

Thanks for all the advice, sorry I haven't answered but woke up next day and the pain was worse so my hubby rang for an ambulance, I was admitted within an hour. After a comedy of errors I ended up being booked for a CT scan then unbooked, and booked for a Gastroscopy, then booked for a CT scan again, Finally, yesterday, I had a VQ scan, my ward doctor could not understand the result so didn't bother to get back to me!!!!!!!!! Luckily the Ward Sister showed me my notes, it said it was non conclusive for a PE but with an intermidiate chance I may get a PE and query empasema. I do not or have never had enpasema, the Sister was quiet embaressed. I had been double booked, while at my VQ scan they came to take me to my Gastroscopy, so I missed my slot. After a week of miscommunication misdiagnoses and being messed about I signed myself out of hospital last night, I have lost total confidence, I told the ward sister I woud see my GP on monday and get in touch with my rhumey as this may be associated with my fibromyalgia. Unfourtunatley I only have one hospital in my area so do not have achoice of were to get treated!!!! Then to top it all my husband was then informed by his work that he would not be paid for taking time of while I was in hospital!!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chest pain update

went to see my GP yesterday, he sent me back to hospital to get things sorted. They told me I probably didn't have a PE and was unlikley to get one, however as I haver Fibro i should get out more because if i just sit at home i will make myself worse. He suggested i get a job or go on holiday to cheer myself up!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Administrator
10,193 Posts
Hi Jo,

It is good to hear the scan didn't pick up a pulmonary embolism. It would have been nice to have gotten an answer for the pain though.

I think we all deserve a holiday, but that is not the cure for our problems. Hopefully your rheumy will have some insight as to what is going on.

Take care,
Lazylegs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts