The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know of any books written specifically for children of sick parents? My kids are having a lot of trouble dealing with me being sick and our counselor said maybe there might be a book out there that might help them explain a little more.

thanks

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
HI:

I did a quick search on google...don't know if any of these are worth much...but gives you a starting point I hope. Many of them seem to be about helping children to deal with parent who have cancer...but there may be something here for you and others.

Stephanie

How to Help Children Through a Parent's Serious Illness (Paperback)

by Kathleen McCue M.A. C.C.L.S. (Author), Ron Bonn (Author) "Here are two things that happened in our program at the Cleveland Clinic: A young mother was being treated for cancer..."
-----------------
When a Parent is Very Sick (Hardcover)

by Eda LeShan (Author)
----------------

http://www.childrensliteraturenetwork.org/resource/readlist/favparents.html

----------------

http://books.google.com/books?q=boo..._group&ct=title&cad=bottom-3results&resnum=11

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Doesn't mean you can't get it...try amazon - they sell used out of print books.

·
Registered
15,684 Posts
Hi there,

There are a few out there that would be suitable depending upon your children's ages.

Suggested Reading: Children and Adolescents

• Are You Tired Again?…I Understand by Marilyn Deutsch, PhD. This book, with fun cartoon characters, takes children in an interactive workbook fashion through the experiences of two young children whose mother developed a chronic illness, lupus.
  • Celebrate Me! by Lynda Farrington Wilson. A children’s storybook that fosters self-esteem through the awareness of differences and choices; helps in understanding the confusion and self-confidence issues that confront young children who are suffering from visible skin conditions and abnormalities.
  • Loopy Lupus Helps Tell Scott’s Story About a Disease Called Lupus by Scott (a child with lupus). Written by a child with lupus for other children and their families who are affected by lupus.
  • The Monster Under the Bed: Child-Rearing When a Parent Is Chronically Ill by Barbara Butler.
  • When Mom Gets Sick by Rebecca Samuels. Written and illustrated by a 9-year-old, this is a compelling story based on the experiences of a sensitive and insightful young girl who makes the best from what could be a devastating situation.
  • When Mommy Is Sick by Ferne Sherkin-Langer, Kay Life. In this bibliotherapeutic story, a distressed little girl expresses her feelings when her mother goes to the hospital. Time drags and the child thinks of her constantly. Her understanding father helps her to cross off the days until she can visit, and then takes her to the hospital.
  • Young People and Chronic Illness by Kelly Huegel, Elizabeth Verdick. This book is a wise, practical, heartfelt guide for young people with chronic illness.
http://www.lupusny.org/library.php

hope this helps,

love
Lily

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.