The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
florie
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you see a chiropractor for your joints?

I went to one last week and he made many adjustments to my body. I am out of alignment. He also sold me some vitamins to help build up my immune systems. He worked for a football team for 15yrs, Atlanta Falcons NFL.

He is also a nutrionist and is educated in lupus.
Boy did he light me up with adjustments. I felt better after seeing him. I am going to see him again on the 30th.

Tell me some of your experiences with a chiropractor and how it's helped you ??

Florie

·
Registered
149 Posts
I saw a chiropractor recently for several sessions, but he went really gentle with just using pressure on pressure points around the spine and shoulders (I had a frozen shoulder and a lot of back ache at the time). It was really good for loosening up my very tight muscles. With my spinal curvature and at least one very narrow disc space in my lower spine I wouldn't be too keen on having major manipulation, but I'd go back for more of the pressure point stuff. Though to be honest, a good deep tissue massage would probably be just as helpful for me. I think with chiropractors you do need a very aware and ethical practitioner to know when manipulation will be safe and when it shouldn't be tried.

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi there Florie,

I know a couple of excellent chiropractors. One teaches at the university in Brussels, another is his student and a friend of ours. Although they are both excellent I would personally only ever use the second as he works in a far gentler way, far more progressively. In that context, if it helps then it can indeed be very worthwhile.

Even massage, which can seem so "innoccent" has to be done very carefully as deep tissue massage can do a lot of damage by releasing toxins into the body and provoking a response from our immune systems possibly leading to a flare. My physio refuses to do any type of deep tissue massage with me (most of the time she couldn't anyway as my skin is too tender) but does very light massage for relaxation and lymphatic drainage type massage (don't know if that's correctly translated) instead. I also know to drink plenty of liquid after in order to eliminate any toxins released in massage.

Obviously everybody is different and I think it all depends on how you, yourself react to such things.

One thing I would be very very wary of is any type of vitamins that BOOST the immune system. Our immune systems are already generally overactive and that's why many of us take immunosuppressants and certainly not anything that would increase our immune response.

I don't mean to be all negative here but just want to say do be careful. Watch for any reactions from massage/manipulation and drink plenty of fluid. As for the vitamins I would steer well clear.

Katharine

·
The Other Illinois Tammy
1,193 Posts
Florie,
I seen a chiro for about a year and miss him so much. You are right if your body is lined up it does not hurt as much and you have a little more energy. I was seeing him 3 times a week. There are great benefits to seeing a doctor that is hands on so to speak. I can't wait till I can afford to see him again. 17 years ago I could not get one to touch me but when my daughter was in an accident and started seeing him and we talked he said he could help with the joints a lot. I laughed so he did the first session for free and I never laughed at him again. They are not miracle workers but they do wonders for your body.
Tammy

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I have found that, for me, massage works wonders. I am lucky to have found a massage therapist who did a lot of research on sle before I started to see her. She works to relax the immune/lymph system and keeps the knots in muscles out as much as possible. I have found that seeing her every other week works well for me and keeps my joints moving.

My rheumy and pulmonologist were in total agreement that massage can work to help the system calm down more than some other things can.
We've also found that my chemo reactions are lessened with routine massage, and can help to work, what my cousin calls "the garbage truck brigade," to clean up all the dead inflammatory cells left by chemo.

I've reached the concept that if it works, then it is the right thing to do. Just don't have anyone work in a way to stimulate the immune system. We need to calm it down, not activate it.
Sally

·
florie
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your replies.
I am sticking with the chiro. I need all those tense nerve spots worked out. I believe this will help me for i truly feel that lupus,depression and anxiety have aggravated my body to full extreme. I want my face to not look crooked anymore due to my tmj and neck problems. I want to be able to walk straight and get rid of this inner ear infection. Since Thanksgiving i have had this ear thing. (inner ear fluid) I still wake up with that roarin sound in the morning. I still am not driving. So this is my alternative to keep up with the chiro and hope for the best.
Florie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Major manipulations to joints may not be wise

Florie,
From personal experience, it would be safer if you asked for only massages or gentle pressure point releases. Unfortunately, A Chiropractor did a major manipulation to my neck and it landed me in the hospital having a double fusion to my cervical spine C3456. My tissue was not soft enough and the manipulation caused irreversible damage leaving me with a broken neck. It took over a year to do physical therapy to learn how to use my arms. This also caused many other medical issues (I could go on and on about it, but I won't ). Obviously this is unusual, please voice your concerns with the Chiropractor before he/she does anything. I just read your thread. I would have responded earlier. I hope all went well on the 30th. Maybe you will have a better experience than I did.
Be strong
Believer from Texas

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Hi Florie,

So Happy that this chiropractor is working for you. My experience with them has not been good so for me I just steer clear now.

I have been to 3 different places and they wont touch me!:mad:

My husbands ex wife is a chiropractor and he swears by them but for me it just never worked out.

Maybe I need to come to Florida and see your guy?:lol:

Hope you continue to get good results from this doctor.:wink2:

·
florie
589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello,:flowery:

Just wanted to let you know that i am doing well with the chiropractor. He really knows his stuff. Most of my problems are in my neck and lower back. He told a friend of ours who also goes to him that, Florie is so sweet and i am going to help her get her life back.

Using two pillows at bedtime is a no no. It causes your head to tilt downward and is not good for the neck. I use one pillow now.
I am so grateful for this man because he really cares and wants to help me. It's not about the money cause i pay very cheap. He gives me half price!

I am going to stick with him. I need adjustments that help me feel better and walk better. My balance is not good, i have a pinched nerve in my lower back. He puts pressure and massage on it. It's been helping me. I hope i will soon be able to quit smoking. He is also going to do something about that. I don't know if it will work but i am giving it a try. I will tell you about it when i go next week. I am so excited...

Florie:rose:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
Hi Florie,

It sounds like the man you are dealing with knows his anatomy and is being gentle (which really is the key issue here) and, most importantly, it is helping you.

The thing with the pillows can help a lot. I have never used two pillows as I know that it wouldn't be good but in the past needed an orthopedic pillow. However, that same pillow has now become too "supportive" for me and was, in fact, causing tension around my neck. I have changed and simply bought a normal pillow that keeps its shape and my neck is a lot better. The physio remarked on it almost immediately that my neck was a lot better.

It's just like the old adage of needing a good "firm" mattress. Hotels are sheer torture for me for that very reason. They all have firm mattresses which mean more anti-inflammatories and/or no sleep. A mattress (or a pillow for that matter) doesn't need to be rock hard to be supportive.

Anyway, I hope you continue to get good relief and just bear in mind the massage and "chiro" limitations with lupus.

Katharine

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Hi Florie,

I have had good experiences with chiropractors that read up on Lupus and take an active interest in addressing your specific needs without cramming you into some protocol that might be harmful to us. Namely, my current chiro read up about lupus after I first saw her and she is extremely sensitive to changes and specific pains I address. SHe had a partner who once questioned why I wouldn't allow my chiro to adjust my neck; when I told this partner that past experience with neck corrections caused more problems that it helped, she seemed skeptical. Well, needless to say, I would never see that chiro and am happy that she has since left the practice. She seemed to think it was a procedure that helped everyone and that my complaint was not to be considered. I go mostly for upper back, neck and shoulder blade pain and knots. She is gentle and asks about how these procedures made me feel after leaving the session.

Sorry to be so long. By the way, my two chiropractors (one in the previous state I lived in) never tried to sell me anything or treat things that did not involve muscular-skeletal (sp?) issues.

Monica

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.