TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have any suggestions to help the pain from this? It is Sunday of Memorial Day weekend and I am having some pain from this. I get it quite often but I usually call my doctor but if I call today they will just send me to the ER which I want to avoid. I've tried taking Darvocet and the Lidoderm patches and they aren't helping. I also am taking my regular anti-imflammatories and all other meds as usual. My whole left side of my ribs hurt including my shoulder so I know that it is it but if I go to the ER it is going to mean hours so I'm wondering if any of you have any suggestions. I definitely overdid it this past week and am now paying for it.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Hi,

I've had Costochondritis for over a year now and I know how bad the pain can be - why does it always seem to act up over a weekend or a holiday eh? :eek:hno:

Have you tried heat, I find if I take the meds and try to get comfy with a wheat bag then it will ease the pain. Holding myself upright or tightly causing spasms which increases the pain.

I understand your concern about going to the ER as they would have to ensure it wasn't anything else but if the pain is really that bad then I don't think you have a choice. It does sound like you need stronger meds.

Hope you get some relief soon,

Hugz, Pam xxx

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Just to be sure it isnt pleuresy...off to the ER you should go!

Stephanie

·
Registered
314 Posts
Sorry you are going thru a rough time. Costo. is very painful. I can only take Tylenol because I have such a sensitive stomach. I find resting in bed and using moist heat helps. Take care, Rosie

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I spoke to the doctor on call and they called in a medrol dosepak to see if that will help and if not then I need to go to the ER.
Thanks

·
Registered
869 Posts
I battle with costo occassionally. It is awful:(. I have had local injections of steroids, they do help a whole lot, but as you can imagine, are very painful. My Dr. also prescribed Diclofenac patches, they are a form of nsaid, not a topical numbing agent. I can't take oral nsaids, but the patch works really well for me. Each patch last for 12 hrs. . From what I understand, this was available in Europe for several years and just became available here recently. Hope you feel better soon:)

·
Registered
631 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up in the ER for 10 hours while they ruled out everything else since the medrol wasn't helping as it should have. It seems like this is just a bad case of chostochondritis. They were concerned since my O2 level was off a bit from my shallow breething so had to rule out a clot. They gave me morphine which worked well and then reconfirmed that it was chosto and sent me home with percocets. I'm supposed to see my rheumy next week. I thought we were finally on the right path but then I get kicked again...hopefully the MTX will kick in fully and I will stop having hte pain. I think he may need to increase the dose a bit. At this time, I don;t care what type of meds they need to give me...I just want the pain to be gone but also to be able to function as a mom to two preschoolers;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts