The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi peeps
I haven't posted in a while as have been busy sorting out family etc. Am now flaring but thats not what I am posting about. I had a referral to the hand OT as my joints in fingers are twisting. Well I have to wear gloves to go to bed in to get rid of odema, and have to wear a thumb splint to stop my thumb swan necking further that it has. BUT the best news is that when the swelling in my thumb has gone I will be fitted for a silver splint made by the local jeweller. :hehe: BUT i'm not stopping at silver I want gold and maybe a diamond in it. And its a recommended requirement (the splint) by the OT so no problems with hubby as is medical. This is one time my illness has worked for me. Just wanted to share....

Scattycat x:rotfl:

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
:) I didn't even know it was possible - splints in silver - hey why not :lol:

Can we have a photo? especially if you get a diamond in it :hehe:

Anyway, on a serious note, I hope the swelling goes down soon and also that this flare you're in doesn't last too long,

Katharine

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
HI Scatty,

That is making the best of a situation! Great attitude..:lol:

Sandy

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I love the way you're thinking! Please post a picture when you get it.

I would suggest going platinum but then it might get a bit heavy :)

·
Registered
3,854 Posts
I am amazed - I have a variety of splints (3 different sets) for different parts of my body, and they are all just plain regular plastic covered with fabric (or not, in the case of my foot drop splints).

I am just wondering if you won't need a bit of padding for a thumb splint - my foot drop splints are very hard as they are not padded, and I am not sure how my thumb would take to an unpadded splint.

Please post a picture when you have it made, I would be very interested in seeing it as I have never seen anything like it. A friend has a thumb splint but it is a fabric covered plastic job. I guess the advantage of silver is that you could wash your hands with it on.

best of luck with it all

raglet

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your views!! I have to wear a plastic one at the moment until swelling has gone down and the joint is rested. Then they measure me for a silver or in my case gold one. The idea is that they look like rings and are easier to use as they can be worn all the time. The OT has someone with a lot of swan necking fingers who wears three of these ring splints and it has stopped her hands getting worse. Obviously with swan necking the damage has been done but these splints do prevent any worsening and twisting. So I am waiting in anticipation. Will definetly post pics but it may be a few months as they are made especially and have to wait for swelling to go down. Never been so excited having a naff joint!!! I may be mad but it works for me!!!!

Scattycat :lol:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts