TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I was diagnosed with Lupus and Fibro in September last year and am finding it difficult to come to terms with because it has such an impact on my life. I used to be very active and now I am a bit like a sloth! I get stressed and anxious regularly and have never suffered from this before.

My GP and Occupational Health Physician have suggested that I have CBT to help me deal with and come to terms with this. I wondered whether anyone has experience of this and also if anyone could recomment a therapist in London? I'd like to go to someone who understand Lupus and Fibro because they are so complex.

Many thanks,
Meriel

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Dear Meriel,

I am sorry about your recent diagnosis. It does take time to come to some level of acceptance with any chronic medical illness. So, don't be afraid of therapy...it can be very helpful. Also, cognitive behavioral therapy has lots of research behind it...you just need to find someone who is exerienced with cog behavioral treatment and at least someone who has treated those with health-related issues.

There is an organization, ABCT, that consists of members who are practicing or interested in this field of psychology and treatment. You might try an on-line search of the organization, then search for a therapist in your area. I know nothing about the medical treatment process in the UK, so I imagine there would be info on the website about how to get therapy started.

Good luck! We could all benefit from therapy I think!

Monica

·
Registered
120 Posts
Cbt

Hi,

I've gone through the CBT training under recommendation that it might help with my depression. It's nothing strange -- actually quite logical in strategy and philosophy. One can get an inexpensive copy of the book at amazon.com. (I'd recommend a pre-owned version. I got a clean copy for $5.)

For me, it wasn't an earth-shattering change but by the end of the sessions at least I was recognizing my thought patterns and felt like I had a choice in how I reacted to some things in life.

Best wishes,
chel

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Hi Meriel,

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It can take quite some time to come to terms with this and the effect it has on your life. I think a lot of us here can certainly relate to how you are feeling..

However, I would definitely recommend trying CBT therapy. It wont have all the answers but it will help give you a bettter coping stratedgy and it's very effective in dealing with stress/anxiety.

you can google the BACP for a list of qualified therapists meriel. at the moment CBT is the new 'trend' so I'm sure you will have plenty to choose from.
good luck
love karen x

·
Pollianna
485 Posts
Hi meriel, I would call or email the nurse at the london llupus unit at st tommys. I am sure that they can reccomend someone. CBT is a good therapy but of couse like anyhting it's better to get a proper reccomendation

1 - 5 of 5 Posts