The Lupus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You know I think people with lupus are immune to things like colds and flu’s because I hardly never get them, and I’ve heard that from many people on this forum. But I guess I couldn’t avoid it forever, ive had the first cold in so many years I don’t even know when my last one was, and its been hanging around now for well over a month. Does anybody have any suggestions that has helped them? I also want to give some advice, I tried something very silly a few days ago, a homeopathic cold medication, Im pretty sure it was that, because by the next day I was doing really reallllllyyyyyy horrible. Not a good idea:wink2:

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
I still don't get a "normal" cold virus post lupus. Now when I get a cold it never progresses like it used to in a predictable manner. It also now almost always ends in a bacterial infection of the ears/eyes/sinuses. If it's been a month with cold like symptoms, I think it's time to go to the doctor and ask if maybe it's a sinus infection!

(I'm a little different than most here though in that I also have an IgA deficiency which may account for my increase in bacterial infections). But still... I think it's time you get checked out as it may have turned into a sinus infection by this point.

Good luck - hope you get to feeling better soon.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hello!

I've been sick for four weeks with a cold, too. It started as nasal congestion and sneezing. After a few days, I started to feel better, and then it hit me again. I lost my voice for a couple of days, although my throat wasn't sore. Then my lungs got involved, and I am still fighting chest congestion and a nasty cough. I've been to the doctor, who says it is just a virus and that I am otherwise fine. He did give me meds for the cough since my bronchial tubes were spasming from the irritation.

So, four weeks on, and I am not completely better. If you find something that helps, let me know!

Terri

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
THank you maia, and terri for your replys:hehe:
Yeah Terri im just like you, lost my voice, yet not sore, lungs...
I hope both of us get beter soon!!
I will let you know if anything helps, acutally ive taken some of this cold syrup called dimetapp, that helps for a short while.
Other than that, please take it from me, DONT go the homeopathic route.
thanks again
Chantal

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Hi,

I was going to suggest a humidifier, and then read you live in Florida. It is already humid there! :lol:

I hope you feel very soon..Maia, made a good suggestion. You may need to be rechecked if it doesn't clear soon..

Feel better soon.

Sandy

·
Registered
46 Posts
hi chantal and wifajax, i like to keep it as natural as possible so when a cold/cough strikes i turn to good old garlic. it has great antibacterial properties and is excellent for treating colds and chestiness.

all you do is buy a bulb of garlic and peel each segment ,slice in half (lengthways) and put it all in a saucepan of water and boil until it reduces to either to a syrup or more liquid. you can mash up the garlic in the water as it gets softer to ensure you get all of its benefit. then drink a cup in the morning and one at night. if you cannot handle garlic then mix a cup with a slice of fresh lemon and juice and some honey.

i would normally take a cup several times through the day, i actually like the taste now!!! usually after 2 days you begin to feel better, 3 if your chesty. but this is based on how it works with me obviously!!!!! however, dont discount the curative properties of lemon, garlic or honey. they are soooo good for you.

feel better soon; both of you.

ps. dont forget to strain it when you pour it out of the saucepan!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts