The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I know that mouth ulcers are common in Lupus, however I was wondering how many suffer from frequent "cold sores?" I used to get them when I was a child and then they sort of went dormant for several years. Now, I seem to get them quite often. I've had two in the last three months. Does anyone else suffer from these horrible and embarrassing sores? Thanks for any info!!

Angie

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hi Angie, yes, I get them and the ulcers all the time, and they hurt like the dicken's.
I had tried everything, I thought, then , in your drug store, back where they carry the lip-aid's, there is an item called "Carmex". It comes in a tube like lip gloss-but I find that gets sticky. It also comes in a small round tin-I just dont like that,don't know why. Then it comes in a tube,small, and you just squirt out a small amount ,I use the plain flavored, and it works like a charm. It costs about $1.00 on sale. Let us know how it goes. best wishes.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Oh yes, I was getting these little lovlies all the time now that I'm on drugs to suppress my immune system. I used to get them once in a while, since childhood, but now it's nearly an everyday occurance to have one unless I take the prescription drug acyclovir. It's an anti-viral that stops the sore in its tracks if you take it as soon as you feel that "itch" or "tingle." Now I'm taking 2 or 3 pills a day just to keep from having these sores all the time. My doctor says many people on immunosuppressants take them for stopping the sores. There is also a salve you can get, but it's expensive because it doesn't come in generic form. It's called Zovorax and it also works well to stop the sore, or at least make it go away quickly. It's not as effective as the pills, but a very good second choice, or as a supplement to the pills.

Believe me, I feel your pain.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts