TheLupusSite.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... I know it's cold here in Michigan but I'm having a problem being extremely cold toward late afternoon and into the evening, every day. No matter how cold it is outside. My husband thinks I'm nuts. LOL

My body temp. has been around 97.5 which is kinda low for me. I'm usually around 99 or so. I'm on Plaquenil and Mobic and various other meds not really related to my UCTD (Norvasc, Topamax, Premarin, Symbicort). Lately, I've also had quite a bit more soreness in my legs and hips too. Blamed that on the weather also.

I'm a preschool teacher and I run around all day. I've been wearing sweaters all week and just realized I've never felt warm at all. Usually, I get a bit warm chasing little ones or have to crack a window in my classroom!

Any thoughts?

Michelle

·
Administrator
10,167 Posts
Hi Michelle,

Once my body decides it has had enough for the day I get cold. It can be 90 degrees outside and I have to bundle up. Sometimes a nap will get me back to normal.

Take care,
Lazylegs

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
I am just like Lazylegs. Once I get near late afternoon to early evening I have been getting the same way......cold to the bone.

I have started to wear silk under garments, from Lands End catalog, and they have just been a life saver to me.

Before that I would go to bed at 8:30pm just to get under the covers for warmth.

I hate the cold and it hates me too.:mad::mad::mad:

Take a look at the silk thermal long johns that Lands End offers. They are comfortable, thin not bulky and worth there weight in gold.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Hi Michelle,

Count me in too. I'm always cold (in winter anyway), and get dressed in 2 sets of clothes (trousers and skirt, 2 shirts, 2 jumpers, socks and wool slippers), and if I'm sitting down I sit under 2 blankets too.

Ironically I often wake at 5am dripping in sweat:hehe: even though I wear summer PJ's in bed.

As to your situation, when was your thyroid function last checked? It may be a factor in feeling unreasonably cold. Mine works fine, but it is something worth checking as hyopthyroidism can make you feel ikky generally.

The other thing to think about it -are you eating and drinking regularly? Being hungry will also increase your feeling cold.

My favorite warm up quick trick is the hairdryer on high held under my clother for a few minutes:blush::blush::blush:.:blush:

X C X

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
This is the first year in my life that I have suffered unreasonably from the cold, and yes, I am very cold right now!!

I am used to dressing well for the cold - I used to work outside all year round and in the South of Belgium it gets to -20°C quite often - but this is different. It's like a total inability to warm up.

I sometimes think my thermostat is completely broken as I also suffer from heat far more easily.

For me, this year seems to coincide with being on aspirin and one other med that thins the blood, so I suppose it's rather like the effect of drinking whiskey when you're cold. It doesn't actualy warm you up, it has the contrary effect.

It does actually bother me as the room where I work is the main livng room and I can't "cook" everyone else but I really hate feeling like the Michelin man as I can't move freely and it really doesn't encourage activity of any sort.

I do have one cure though. When the house seems really cold, I get well dressed up and go out with the dog. I'm not really cold while out as I'm walking but when I come back in, I get this blast of hot house and it actually feels warm for a while :)

Katharine

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Hello Gladys, I am in the same boat as you are, and have been since I was diagnosed. If you will look at my avatar,
you will see that I live in Florida, where I am supposed to be warm. Are the hands and your feet the coldest part of
your body? Do you have a Rheumatologist for a Dr yet ?
If I were you, I would get under the care of a Rheumy,and
give him a complete list of all your symptoms. Usually, if your feet and hands are the coldest, it means that you have Raynauds. But you would have seen by a Rheumy.
I don't know anything that will help, except to wrap yourself all up in a blanket. Like I said, I live in Florida, and I stay cold year round. I hope that you find something
that will help.:wink2:

·
Registered
35 Posts
you know thats another thing that bothers me about my rheumys, i have all the symptoms of raynauds, but they keep dismissing it and all the rest of my symptoms. i feel like no one is hearing me and no one wants to help (in the medical field) after my doctors vacation, i'll have to get down to business and tell it to them straight. i'm tired of this beat around the bush stuff....sorry i had to vent :p

·
Registered
40 Posts
hi michelle,

im always cold too, i find that the colder i am the worse my joints are.

now that we are in the winter months i wear thermol socks and vests to try and keep my body warm. i even wear finger less gloves at work to keep my hands warm! its quite a sight :)

take care
rachna xxx

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Thyroid problems can leave you feeling cold and actually having too low of a temperature. Some medications can leave especially the extremities feeling too cold (most common culprit being blood pressure medicines). Then there is always the Raynaud's possibility.

I think I have some sort of thermostat problem myself too! My feet and hands can turn ice cold sometimes, and other times they can be far too hot without a fever. So far I've had no answers to it, and just do my best to stay warm as usually my problem is being too cold too especially the hands/feet.

I love wearing Cuddle duds in the winter to stay warm, and am usually wrapped up in a blanket to watch TV or some other fairly inactive activity. ;)
I love hot water bottles and heating pads too, and will use those hand warmers inside mittens and the feet warmers that go in the soles of your shoes to keep the feet warm when I must be outside for any length of time in the cold. There are a lot of helpful options these days to help stay warm - hope you find some that will help you and get properly investigated for the Raynauds as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts