The Lupus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
i had my yearly colestrol test last friday and i got a call from the nurse at my doctors she said my colestrol was up more this year its now 6.9 and last year was 5.4,does anyone know if this is linked in any way to pupus ,fibro ,osteo,rynards if so what can be done and is it bad thing to have
thanks and take care all

donna

·
Registered
14,661 Posts
Hello Donna

That level is "moderately high", 5.7 being considered mildly high. The ideal is 5 although the majority of women in the the UK have a bit higher.

I am surprised you have not been asked to come in for advice since it is not desirable to have higher than normal levels because the risk of atherosclerosis is increased at higher levels. That's hardening of the arteries that can lead to heart attacks, strokes and all that nasty stuff. The risk of such serious problems in people with lupus is higher than in the population in general.

A study showed that young women with lupus suffer ten times more then well women in the same age group so in recent years this has become a major concern. I really think you should get down to docs and ask for a major check up to see if you have any other risk factors, like high blood pressure, and to ask for advice on how to manage it. Other factors that increase risk are smoking and lack of exercise, for example.

The main dietary advice is to limit or cut out animal fats and transfatty acids/ hydrogenated fats that are very common in shop bought goods. Animal fats is the dairy produce and fatty meats, replacing them with fish and lean cuts or fat free items like fat free milk. These days they say that other foods that have cholesterol and which used to be advised against such as eggs, prawns or offal, are OK as part of a balanced diet.

Your doctor might want to prescribe a statin drug.

By the way of general information Plaquenil is good at reducing cholesterol

All the best - take care of yourself and make sure your doctor does too

Clare
http://www.bhf.org.uk/keeping_your_heart_healthy/preventing_heart_disease/cholesterol.aspx

http://www.uklupus.co.uk/chol.html

·
Registered
893 Posts
Hi Donna

You sound poorly

I do hope you can get some help.

Take care
Nicky

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Donna clare as given good advice, mine is high too even though i follow a low fat diet, as dr bruce said the last time i saw him, its not always the diet, they have upped my statins, and he also said they dont like anyone with lupus more than ,omg i forgot now sorry, but clare is so right your dr should have called you in for chat..

dont worry they will sort you out mate, Lin xx

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hi hope you are all well
i went to speak to my gp and he told me that maybe its the preds that ive been on that could corse high cholestrol so he is going to test me again in 2months time and he has also refered me to a heart doc just to be safe looks like im gettin some where.
tc all and thanks

donna :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.